Understanding Force and Mass in Kangaroo Jumps

• Thread starter danield
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a kangaroo jumping with and without a baby kangaroo in its pouch. The problem involves finding the mass of the baby kangaroo and the logic behind solving it, specifically with regards to creating a free body diagram. The conversation also mentions attempting different equations and angles to solve the problem but not being successful.
danield
Hey.. i am having problems solving the following question...

2) A 40-kg kangaroo exerts a constant force on the ground in the firs 60 cm of her jump, and rises 2.0 m higher. When she carries a baby kangaroo in her pouch, she cna rise only 1.8 m higher, What is the mass of the baby kangaroo?

I am not interested in the answer so much.. but in the logic of the problems.. i just can't do a free body diagram for them..
please help
,dan

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, for (1), which forces are acting on the crate? Further on, what does the constant velocity tell you about the forces acting on the body?

ok 1.. i could solve.. i used the equation of force applied+weight=force of friction, and i found force applied and the direction.
But I am still having trouble wiht 2)

Well I've been trying to do something like 2y/g=t^2, then V=y/t and then A=v/t, but i guess that is not working, i think I've been seeing it from the wrong angle, but any way i try i can't get the answer :(

What is the formula for calculating force?

The formula for calculating force is F = m x a, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. This formula is known as Newton's second law of motion.

What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the measure of the force of gravity acting on the object. Mass is measured in kilograms, while weight is measured in Newtons.

What are the different types of forces?

There are four main types of forces: gravitational, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear. Other types of forces include friction, tension, and normal force.

How can forces be balanced or unbalanced?

Forces are said to be balanced when the net force acting on an object is equal to zero. This means that the forces acting on the object are canceling each other out and the object is not accelerating. Unbalanced forces, on the other hand, result in a net force that causes the object to accelerate in a certain direction.

How do forces affect motion?

Forces can affect an object's motion in various ways. A force can cause an object to start moving, stop moving, or change direction. Forces can also change the speed or velocity of an object. In general, forces cause a change in an object's motion or state of rest.