1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help on 2 quantum mechanics of atoms problems

1. Aug 5, 2004 #1
    A proton is traveling with a speed of (6.550+/- 0.010)e5 m/s. With what maximum accuracy can its position be ascertained.

I know that p=mv and x=p/h but what do I do with the +/- 0.010, that is the part that confuses me.

How many electrons can be in the n=6, l=4 subshell. I know that l is n-1, so that can be 5, and n=6, so can the atom have 5 electrons?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2004 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's the uncertainty in the velocity.

No. n is not the number of electrons in a shell, it's the energy level. You need to list out the quantum states and count them.

4. Aug 5, 2004 #3
    Yes I know that 0.010 is the uncertainity of the velcoity, but how do I incorporate that into the equation?

5. Aug 5, 2004 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry, but I'm not answering that one directly. You should be reading the book.

Now think: What principle in quantum mechanics expresses a mathematical relationship between uncertainty in momentum and uncertainty in position?

6. Aug 5, 2004 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

x = p/h ? Not true ! Reread the part about the Uncertainty Principle.

For a given value of 'l', how many values can 'm' take ? For each of these 'm', how many values of 's' can there be ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?