1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help on a differentiability prob.

1. Oct 27, 2004 #1
    hey guys, whats up. Its my first time posting so yeah....

Ok i'm attempting to do the following problem...

let f(x) = x^3 for x is less than or eqaul to 4.
    (6x^2)-8x when x is greater than 4

i need to see if f(x) is differentiable at x = 4. I tried it through the definition of the derivative as a function. For the first part im using x^3 and plugging it into f(x) in the def. of the deriv. and i cant seem to figure out what to do with the h I have in the exponent and in the denomenator. i fot as far as....

x^3 lim (a^h-1)/h....I know what x is, 4...but what do i do with the a and the h? please someone help, thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2004 #2
    Not sure how you would accomplish what you're doing easily with your problem but I would personally see if the derivative at x = 4 was the same at both functions. Note the function is differentiable at a point x if the limit of the function from the positive side is the same as the limit of the function from the negative side.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?