Help on a-level chemistry question

In summary, the conversation is about two separate experiments given by a teacher. The first experiment involves measuring the molar enthalpy change of a reaction between magnesium and hydrochloric acid, while the second experiment involves purifying a solid compound using recrystallization. The person asking for help is unsure of how to do the experiments and is seeking assistance. The conversation also includes a brief discussion on the process of recrystallization and how it can increase the purity of a sample.
meawinner
Hi I got given these 2 planning q's to do by my teacher but I don't have a clue how to do the actual experiment. If i knew that much then I would b able to write about it. Could n e 1 help me please

Plan an experiment that would enable you to measure the molar enthalpy change of the reaction between magnesium metal in different concentrations of dilute hydrochloric acid. :eek:

I thought about this question and I thought could it be the calorimeter with the zinc and the cup and the thermometer but then it says diff concentrations of HCl so i got a bit confused so could some1 please help me.

Plan an experiment to purify solid H by recrystallisation.
You are required to plan an experiment by which a pure sample of H could be prepared, from an impure sample of solid, ready for a melting temperature determination. Your method will involve recrystallising H from a suitable solvent. Assume that you have access to data giving the solubility of H in different solvents at different temperature.

I looked at this question and the first thing that hit me was what is recrystalisation? and what has it got to do with the solubilities? Please help me!

Thank you for anyone who may be able to help me.

meawinner

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If you're measuring enthalpy, then yeah, do a calorimetry experiment. It's easy enough to just make up a variety of solutions with different concentrations and measure these. Then you can just plot enthalpy change versus concentration to work out molar enthalpy.

I'm not sure what you mean by the second one. Do you want to prepare solid H2? I have no idea how to do that. I mean, H2 is a gas even at about 20 K.

Recrystallisation is a method where you prepare a sample, then dissolve it and then let it crystallise out of solution. It increases the purity of your sample.

Thanks for your help and H is not hydrogen but a letter that stands for an unknown compound.

Alright, so say your sample is slightly soluble in water, and the solubility greatly increases with heat. Figure out from the table how much water will dissolve your sample at 100 degrees C. Add that much water and boil. When you get to one hundred degrees C, all of your sample will dissolve. Now take off the heat and cool to 0 degrees. Your sample will crystallize out of solution while the impurities remain in the solution. This is recrystallization. You can then just filter out the water. You'll lose a little bit of the sample, and it won't be exactly 100% pure, but you can get pretty close and always do another recrystallization.

What is the question asking for?

The question is asking for help with a specific A-level chemistry question. It is likely that the person asking the question is struggling to understand the concept or solve the problem on their own.

Can you provide a step-by-step solution?

Yes, as a scientist, I can provide a detailed explanation and step-by-step solution to the A-level chemistry question. However, it is important to note that the best way to learn is by attempting the problem first and then seeking help if needed.

Can you explain the underlying concept behind the question?

Yes, I can explain the underlying concept behind the A-level chemistry question. Understanding the concept is crucial in solving the problem and will also help in future problem-solving.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in this type of question?

Some common mistakes to avoid in A-level chemistry questions include incorrect unit conversions, misreading the question, and not showing all the steps in the solution. It is important to read the question carefully and double-check all calculations.

Are there any additional resources you recommend for studying A-level chemistry?

Yes, there are many helpful resources for studying A-level chemistry, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. It is also beneficial to attend lectures, review class notes, and form study groups with other students.