1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help on a rather simple physics question

1. Nov 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose you drop a feather and a steel ball of equal masses (0.014 kg) at the same time from a height of 1.5 m and you are told that the feather hits the floor 3.5 s after the steel ball. Estimate the value of the terminal velocity of the feather in air.

Estimate the feather's drag coefficient.

2. Relevant equations

v=mg/c

3. The attempt at a solution

I assumed the drag on the steel ball is negligible. So i used r=vit +.5at^2 to find the time it takes for it reach the ground. I then added 3.5s and used another kinematic equation to find the final velocity or terminal velocity. I then plugged the answer into the above equation to find c. it was wrong

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What does the v-t graph of the feather look like?
    i.e. do the kinematic equations even apply to it's motion?

Consider: if the air-resistance for the steel ball can be neglected - so it never reaches it's terminal velocity - then what is the case for the feather? How long does it take the feather to reach it's terminal velocity?

4. Nov 18, 2013 #3
    Assume that the feather reaches its terminal velocity instantaneously. How far did it fall? How many seconds did it take to fall this distance? What was its velocity?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted