Help on a Relative Motion Problem

In summary: I really appreciate it!In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a sunbather drifting down a river on an inner-tube and having to calculate the current of the water. The problem is solved using algebra and careful bookkeeping, with the final answer being the current speed of the river being 2 km/hr. The equations used are based on the basic kinematic relationship of distance = speed * time.
Charlie Brown
Help on a Problem!

Hi there everyone. I am completely lost on how to go about answering this question :cry:

A sunbather, drifting down the Grand River on an inner-tube, dives off the tube as it passes under the high bridge of Elora Gorge. She swims against the current for 15 mins before turning and swimming downstream with the same effort (ie: same speed relative to the water). When she finally reaches her tube, she is 1.0 km downstream from the high bridge. What is the current of the water?

If anyone can help solve this question it would help A LOT!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
can nobody help me??

I didn't follow this all the way through, but I believe you should be able to solve it with algebra and careful book keeping:

Facts:
D(Inner Tube) = 1 km, and therefore 1 = (rate of river) * total time
(D1) = distance traveled by girl in 15 minutes
(D2) = distance traveled by girl in remaining time
D1+D2 = D(Inner Tube)
D1 = [(rate of girl) - (rate of river)] * 15 minutes
D2 = [(rate of girl) + (rate of river)] * (total time - 15 minutes)

Charlie Brown said:
Hi there everyone. I am completely lost on how to go about answering this question :cry:

A sunbather, drifting down the Grand River on an inner-tube, dives off the tube as it passes under the high bridge of Elora Gorge. She swims against the current for 15 mins before turning and swimming downstream with the same effort (ie: same speed relative to the water). When she finally reaches her tube, she is 1.0 km downstream from the high bridge. What is the current of the water?

If anyone can help solve this question it would help A LOT!
From the problem statement:
{Positive Direction} = {Downstream}
{River Current Speed Relative To Shore} = R
{Swimmer Speed Magnitude Relative to River} = S
{Swimmer Upstream Speed Relative to Shore} = R - S
{Swimmer Downstream Speed Relative to Shore} = R + S
{Time Spent Swimming Upstream} = tu = (15 min) = (0.25 hr)
{Time Spent Swimming Downstream} = td

From the swimmer's data:
{Swimmer Upstr Speed}*{Time Upstr} + {Swimmer Downstr Speed}*{Time Downstr} = (1 km)
::: ⇒ (R - S)*tu + (R + S)*td = (1 km)
::: ⇒ (R - S)*(0.25 hr) + (R + S)*td = (1 km)
::: ⇒ (0.25)*R - (0.25)*S + (R + S)*td = (1) ::: Eq #1

From the tube's data:
R*(tu + td) = (1 km)
::: ⇒ R*((0.25 hr) + td) = (1 km)
::: ⇒ td = (1/R) - 0.25 ::: Eq #2

Placing Eq #2 into Eq #1:
(0.25)*R - (0.25)*S + (R + S)*{(1/R) - 0.25} = (1)
::: ⇒ (0.25)*R - (0.25)*S + 1 - (0.25)*R + S/R - (0.25)*S = 1
::: ⇒ 1 + S/R - (0.5)*S = 1
::: ⇒ S/R - (0.5)*S = 0
::: ⇒ S - (0.5)*S*R = 0
::: ⇒ 1 - (0.5)*R = 0
::: ⇒ (0.5)*R = 1
::: ⇒ R = (2 km/hr)

~~

Last edited:
Severian596 said:
I didn't follow this all the way through, but I believe you should be able to solve it with algebra and careful book keeping:

Facts:
D(Inner Tube) = 1 km, and therefore 1 = (rate of river) * total time
(D1) = distance traveled by girl in 15 minutes
(D2) = distance traveled by girl in remaining time
D1+D2 = D(Inner Tube)
D1 = [(rate of girl) - (rate of river)] * 15 minutes
D2 = [(rate of girl) + (rate of river)] * (total time - 15 minutes)

Thanx! :smile:

xanthym said:
From the swimmer's data:
{Swimmer Upstr Speed}*{Time Upstr} + {Swimmer Downstr Speed}*{Time Downstr} = (1 km)
::: ⇒ (R - S)*tu + (R + S)*td = (1 km)
::: ⇒ (R - S)*(0.25 hr) + (R + S)*td = (1 km)
::: ⇒ (0.25)*R - (0.25)*S + (R + S)*td = (1) ::: Eq #1

From the tube's data:
R*(tu + td) = (1 km)
::: ⇒ R*((0.25 hr) + td) = (1 km)
::: ⇒ td = (1/R) - 0.25 ::: Eq #2

Thank you so much! I'm still slightly confused though. I get how you got the data from the problem statement...and I understand the substitution of the 2nd Eq'n into the 1st.

Can you explain to me how you got the 2 initial equations:

1) {Swimmer Upstr Speed}*{Time Upstr} + {Swimmer Downstr Speed}*{Time Downstr} = (1 km)

2) R*(tu + td) = (1 km)

Like is there some kinematic eq'n that can help me understand how you got them??

Charlie Brown said:
Thank you so much! I'm still slightly confused though. I get how you got the data from the problem statement...and I understand the substitution of the 2nd Eq'n into the 1st.

Can you explain to me how you got the 2 initial equations:

1) {Swimmer Upstr Speed}*{Time Upstr} + {Swimmer Downstr Speed}*{Time Downstr} = (1 km)

2) R*(tu + td) = (1 km)

Like is there some kinematic eq'n that can help me understand how you got them??
Both Equations #1 & #2 above for which you wanted clarification are applications of the basic kinematic relationship:
{Distance} = {Speed}*{Time} ::: Eq #3 (Valid for constant speed over given time interval)
In each case above, an entity's speed is multiplied by the total time during which it maintained that (constant) speed to determine the distance traveled. Equation #1 is actually composed of two distance segments; however, each distance segment is calculated from this basic kinematic equation (Eq #3).

~~

Last edited:
xanthym said:
Both Equations #1 & #2 above for which you wanted clarification are applications of the basic kinematic relationship:
{Distance} = {Speed}*{Time} ::: Eq #3 (Valid for constant speed over given time interval)
In each case above, an entity's speed is multiplied by the total time during which it maintained that (constant) speed to determine the distance traveled. Equation #1 is actually composed of two distance segments; however, each distance segment is calculated from this basic kinematic equation (Eq #3).

~~

Thanks again!

1. How do I approach a relative motion problem?

The first step in solving a relative motion problem is to clearly define the reference frame and the moving objects involved. This will help you determine the relative positions and velocities of the objects.

2. What are the key equations for solving relative motion problems?

The key equations for solving relative motion problems include the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration. These can be found in any physics textbook or online resource.

3. How do I deal with multiple moving objects in a relative motion problem?

In cases where multiple objects are moving relative to each other, it is important to break the problem down into smaller parts and analyze the motion of each object separately. Then, you can combine the individual solutions to find the overall solution.

4. Can relative motion problems involve acceleration?

Yes, relative motion problems can involve acceleration. In these cases, the equations for acceleration become more complex, as they take into account the relative acceleration between the two objects.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a relative motion problem?

One common mistake is assuming that the velocities of the objects are constant. In most cases, the velocities will be changing, so it is important to use the appropriate equations and pay attention to any given information about acceleration. It is also important to carefully define the reference frame and take into account the direction of motion.