Finding Center of Mass on a Reaction Board Using Torque Principles

• Thread starter leejos16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find a person's center of mass using a reaction board. The formula for finding the center of mass is x = (r2-r1)/W * d, where r2 is the scale reading after the person's weight is added, r1 is the initial scale reading, W is the person's weight, and d is the length of the board. The key concept is that the center of mass is calculated by the formula x(cm) = x1m1 + x2m2 + x3m3... / m(total). There is a simpler way of solving this problem without using torque, but the purpose of the homework is to apply the principles of torque.
leejos16

Homework Statement

A person's center of mass is easily found by having the person lie on a reaction board. A horizontal, 3.0-m-long, 6.6kg reaction board is supported only at the ends, with one end resting on a scale and the other on a pivot. A 63kg woman lies on the reaction board with her feet over the pivot. The scale reads 23kg .

What is the distance from the woman's feet to her center of mass?

Homework Equations

T=F*d

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this is a problem that is related to torque, but I'm completely lost. Can someone help me..

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's say the distance from the woman's feet to her center of mass is d. So now you have Tup=-T down, which tells you
l(board)*23kg*g=
-(0.5*l(board)*Fg(board)+d*Fg(woman)
And then the problem becomes much easier.

There is a simpler way of doing this without using torque! The formula for finding a center of mass using the reaction board method is:

x = (r2-r1)/W * d

where:
x is the centre of mass
r2 is the scale after the weight has been added (23kg)
r1 is the initial scale reading (assuming uniform density, r1 = mass of the board/2)
W is the weight of the person
d is the length of the board

Therefore, your answer is 0.94 m (from her feet)

The key concept here is that the center of mass is calculated by the formula: x(cm) = x1m1 + x2m2 + x3m3... / m(total)
Because your question requires you to separate the system (woman + reaction board), you simply subtract the weight of the board.
The center of mass of the board is exactly at the midpoint, which is why the woman's height is not needed.

Hope that helps!

ksj said:
There is a simpler way of doing this without using torque...
x = (r2-r1)/W * d
Rearranging, xW = (r2-r1)d. Looks exactly like the torque equation to me.
I suggest that the object of the homework exercise is to use the principles of torque to solve it, not to look up some standard solution for reaction boards.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the center of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How do I calculate torque?

To calculate torque, you need to know the force applied to the object and the distance from the center of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The formula for torque is torque = force x distance.

3. What are some common units of torque?

The most commonly used units of torque are newton-meters (N∙m) and foot-pounds (ft∙lb). Other units include pound-feet (lb∙ft) and kilogram-meters (kg∙m).

4. What factors affect torque?

The two main factors that affect torque are the amount of force applied to the object and the distance from the center of rotation to the point where the force is applied. Other factors that can affect torque include the angle of the force and the shape and size of the object.

5. How is torque used in real-life applications?

Torque is used in many real-life applications, such as engineering, construction, and mechanics. It is used to measure the amount of force needed to rotate objects, such as screws and bolts. It is also important in designing and calculating the power of engines and motors.