Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help on a very complex gearbox design?

1. Nov 29, 2009 #1
    I'm involved in a project that requires we lower an 8000 lb unit through a 25' vertical drop with extreme precision and fixed speeds. We want to build a gearing unit that will transfer that weight into bleed off energy via a high winding gearbox. It is extremely important that our load be lowered slowly....no faster than 36" per hour. I would prefer 24"-28" (inches per hour)
    Because of area temps, we cannot use fluid systems. We have decided that a gearing system will give us the precision we need. It would also work better as a constant load bearing system.
    So, in short, I need a gearbox that through gearing alone, will spin off and unwind a 4.225 ton weight at no more than 28 inches per hour. I have access to stainless metal cutting tools, and people to run them. bearing and materials. If someone can successfully help me with this project, and help keep it within a budget, I will try to make it worth your while.
    Thanks,
    HF

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted