What is the Value of s for Parallel Vectors in Linear Algebra?

In summary, the problem involves finding s for which the vectors (1-s)u - 2/3v and 3u + sv are parallel, given that u and v are linearly independent vectors. This can be solved algebraically by expressing parallelism in terms of a scalar and applying it to the two given vectors. The solution for s will determine if u and v are coplanar.
byronsakic
the vectors u and v are linearly independent. find s, if vectors (1-s)u - 2/3v and 3u +sv are parallel.

where u and v are vectors.

i am totally clueless, even my tutor couldn't solve it.

Physics news on Phys.org
How can you algebraically express that two vectors a and b are parallel?
Do that for the two vectors you are given (in function of s) and solve for s.

but u and v are coplanar? XD

Vectors a and b are parallel if there exists a scalair k such that a = kb. Apply that to the two vectors you want to be parallel, and find the s for which this holds.

byronsakic said:
the vectors u and v are linearly independent. find s, if vectors (1-s)u - 2/3v and 3u +sv are parallel.
where u and v are vectors.
i am totally clueless, even my tutor couldn't solve it.

You might consider getting another tutor! :)

1. What is the first step in solving an algebra and geometry problem?

The first step in solving an algebra and geometry problem is to carefully read and understand the problem. Identify the given information and what is being asked, and then determine the appropriate formulas or equations to use.

2. How do I know which formula or equation to use?

To determine which formula or equation to use, you need to understand the relationship between the given information and what is being asked. Look for key words or phrases such as "perimeter", "area", "volume", etc. and then use the appropriate formula for that concept.

3. How can I check my answer to make sure it is correct?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original problem and seeing if it satisfies all the given conditions. You can also use a calculator or online tool to verify your calculations.

4. What should I do if I get stuck on a problem?

If you get stuck on a problem, take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. If you are still struggling, seek help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate.

5. How can I improve my algebra and geometry problem-solving skills?

The best way to improve your problem-solving skills in algebra and geometry is to practice regularly. Work through a variety of problems, and if possible, try to apply the concepts to real-life situations. Additionally, seek help and guidance from teachers or tutors when needed.