Help Applying Search Rule Weitzman (1979)

• A
  • Thread starter mathlover
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Search
In summary, the decision maker faces n boxes with potential rewards $x_i$ with probability distributions $f(x_i)$ (iid). It costs $c_i$ to open the box and learn its contents. There is a discount factor $\beta_i$ for each box. The paper shows that each box has a reservation price $z_i$ that satisfies: c_i = \beta_i \int_{z_i}^\infty (x_i-z_j)\textrm{d}f(x_i)-(1-\beta_i)z_i. Then, the paper gives a specific example where $\beta_i=1$, each box has
mathlover
I was wondering if you could help me make sure I have things correct. Weitzman (1979) (Optimal search for the best alternative) considers a decision maker that is facing n boxes, each box has potential reward $x_i $with probability distribution $f(x_i)$ (iid). It costs $c_i$ to open the box and learn its contents. There is a discount factor $\beta_i$ for each box. The paper shows that each box has a reservation price $z_i$ that satisfies:

\begin{equation}
c_i = \beta_i \int_{z_i}^\infty (x_i-z_j)\textrm{d}f(x_i)-(1-\beta_i)z_i
\end{equation}Then, the paper gives a specific example where $\beta_i=1$, each box has reward $R_i$ with probability $p_i$ and reward of 0 with probability $1-p_i$. It is given that in this case:
\begin{equation}
z_i=(p_i*R_i-c_i)/p_i
\end{equation}

Now, I'm trying to find out what the $z_i$ would be if $0<\beta_i<1.$ I believe that it is:
\begin{equation}
z_i=(\beta_i*p_i*R_i-c_i)/(\beta_i*p_i+(1-\beta_i))
\end{equation}

The reason I believe this is the solution is due to the following steps i took:
\begin{equation}
\int_{z_i}^\infty (x_i-z_j)\textrm{d}f(x_i)=p_i*(R_i-z_i)
\end{equation}
(I got this from the solution the paper provided for the case where $\beta_i=1$.)

Then, we have
\begin{equation}
c_i = \beta_i*p_i*(R_i-z_i)-(1-\beta_i)z_i
\end{equation}

And,
\begin{equation}
c_i = \beta_i*p_i*R_i-\beta_i*p_i*z_i-(1-\beta_i)z_i
\end{equation}

Thus,
\begin{equation}
c_i = \beta_i*p_i*R_i-z_i*[\beta_i*p_i+(1-\beta_i)]
\end{equation}

Giving us,
\begin{equation}
z_i=(\beta_i*p_i*R_i-c_i)/(\beta_i*p_i+(1-\beta_i))
\end{equation}

However, I had previously calculated it as
\begin{equation}
z_i=(\beta_i*p_i*R_i-c_i)/(\beta_i*p_i)
\end{equation}
(I don't know how I had calculated this) and now I am doubting myself as to which one is the correct solution. Can you help me here?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your newer solution looks correct to me. If you are unsure, why not substitute it for ##z_i## in the original equation and see if it works?

1. What is the Weitzman (1979) search rule?

The Weitzman (1979) search rule is a decision-making tool used in economics to determine the optimal time to make a decision based on the probability of finding new information. It takes into account the trade-off between the cost of continuing to search for new information and the potential benefit of that information.

2. How does the Weitzman (1979) search rule work?

The Weitzman (1979) search rule works by comparing the expected costs and benefits of continuing to search for new information versus making a decision based on the information already available. It uses a mathematical formula to determine the optimal time to make a decision.

3. What are the assumptions of the Weitzman (1979) search rule?

The Weitzman (1979) search rule makes several assumptions, including that the decision-maker has perfect information about the probability of finding new information, that the cost of searching is constant, and that the decision-maker has a fixed deadline for making a decision.

4. What are the limitations of the Weitzman (1979) search rule?

One limitation of the Weitzman (1979) search rule is that it assumes the decision-maker has perfect information, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. It also does not take into account the potential value of information that is not directly related to the decision at hand.

5. How is the Weitzman (1979) search rule used in practice?

The Weitzman (1979) search rule is primarily used in economic decision-making, such as in investment strategies or resource allocation. It can also be applied in other fields, such as in medical decision-making or marketing strategies, to determine the optimal time to make a decision based on the availability of new information.