1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help on basic RC Circuit problem

1. Oct 3, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 4.1e-6 capacitor is connected in series with a 36V battery and a 851 ohlms resistor. At t= 0 the capacitor is uncharged. At what time will the capacitor have 80% of its maximum charge?

2. Relevant equations
    I = V/R
    Q = CV
    I = Q/t

3. The attempt at a solution
    I didn't learn RC circuit much in class since my teacher ran out of time.
    But anyway,

So the first thing I did is I found the current which is,

I = .0423 A

Now I'm stuck on this one.

I = Q/t I need to find t, I tried to use .0423 = Q* (.8) / t but the problem is Q is unknown. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2011 #2
    You're missing an important fact. The current will constant change as the capacitor charging, approaching zero. Is the 4.1e-6 supposed to be the farad value for it? You can use that in one of the equations you have to find the maximum Q. The equation you are missing is Q = Q_{max}[1 - e^{(-t/RC)}], I believe. Try getting the [1 - e^{(-t/RC)}] to get to the amount of the maximum charge you need.

4. Oct 3, 2011 #3
    Thanks for your reply
    But how do I find out out the max Q if q and t is unknown?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  5. Oct 3, 2011 #4
    I think you misunderstood what I meant by max Q. The maximum Q is the highest charge the capacitor can hold with a given voltage. t is just the time, right? So you simply need to solve for t. I don't know if you already did this, but the inverse function of e is a natural log, shown as ln. So the natural log of e^x would give you x, and e^(lnx) would give you x as well. Remember, you want 80% of the maximum charge. The left q(the one by itself and equaling the other things) is the one you want at time t.

6. Oct 3, 2011 #5
    Solve for t as a function of R and C.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook