Help with Balancing Iron (III) Chloride Equation

• Thread starter Dragonfly6191
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem
In summary, Daniel is explaining how chlorine exists as an element and the different ways it can be represented in mathematical form. He also mentions sulphur and phosphorus, which are elements in group 7 that have a tendency to bond with other elements to gain electrons.
Dragonfly6191
This is the equation I am supposed to write and balance:
The formation of solid iron (III) chloride
from its elements.

I tried to write it like this- 3Fe + 2Cl = 2FeCl3
But my teacher then asked: How does chlorine exist as an element?What I mean is if I have a container full of chlorine at room temperature the chlorine exists as Cl2 molecules . Other nonmetals also exist like this such as O2 and N2.
I'm not sure what this means and how to solve the equation. Can someone help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dragonfly6191 said:
This is the equation I am supposed to write and balance:
The formation of solid iron (III) chloride
from its elements.

I tried to write it like this- 3Fe + 2Cl = 2FeCl3
But my teacher then asked: How does chlorine exist as an element?What I mean is if I have a container full of chlorine at room temperature the chlorine exists as Cl2 molecules . Other nonmetals also exist like this such as O2 and N2.
I'm not sure what this means and how to solve the equation. Can someone help please?
It means the equation should be written and balanced using the Cl2 molecule like it exists under standard conditions, that is, with Cl2:
2Fe + 3Cl2 ⇒ 2FeCl3

Similarly, the formation of water would be written:
2H2 + O2 ⇒ 2H2O

~~

Last edited:
Incidentally,pay attention to wording:chlorine exists as an element,but under normal pressure & temp.conditions it is only made up of diatomic molecules...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Incidentally,pay attention to wording:chlorine exists as an element,but under normal pressure & temp.conditions it is only made up of diatomic molecules...

Daniel.

The same can be said of hydrogen and most of the other elements in groups 6 and 7 because of those elements' tendency to bond with something to gain a total of eight electrons in their outer electron shell.

Halogens,nitrogen,oxygen & hydrogen form diatomic molecules.Sulphur & phosphorus are a bit weird.

Daniel.

What is the chemical formula for Iron (III) Chloride?

The chemical formula for Iron (III) Chloride is FeCl3.

Why is balancing equations important in chemistry?

Balancing equations is important because it ensures that the same number of atoms of each element are present on both the reactant and product sides of a chemical reaction. This helps maintain the law of conservation of mass, which states that matter cannot be created or destroyed.

How do you balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you need to adjust the coefficients (numbers in front of each compound) until the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides of the equation. It is important to remember that you cannot change the subscripts within a compound, as this would change the identity of the compound.

What are the steps for balancing an Iron (III) Chloride equation?

The steps for balancing an Iron (III) Chloride equation are as follows:
1. Write out the unbalanced equation.
2. Count the number of atoms of each element on both sides of the equation.
3. Start by balancing the most complex molecule first.
4. Balance the remaining elements one at a time.
5. Check to make sure that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides of the equation.
6. If not, adjust the coefficients until the equation is balanced.

Are there any shortcuts for balancing chemical equations?

Yes, there are several shortcuts that can be used to balance chemical equations. These include the inspection method, the oxidation number method, and the ion-electron method. However, it is important to remember that these methods may not work for every equation and it is still important to understand the concept of balancing equations.