1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help on chords in two combined circles

1. Dec 16, 2005 #1
    Hello,
    i am having difficulty on a question involving chords i believe.
    [​IMG]
    what i have so far is:
    the length of CA is 17. therefore the length of CB is also 17 due to the fact that it is the radius of the first circle.
    the length of AD is 10. Therefore BD is also 10 because it is the radius of the circle.
    i can prove that AB is perpendicular to CD and forms a right angle since CD passes through the the centres of the circles, therefore it is a perpendicular bisector of the chord AB.
    if you let the mid point between AB be M. you could solve for AM and BM using pythagoreom thoerem, however i would need CM and MD which i do not know how to find or at least cannot think of.
    I could use cosine law, however i do not have any angles given.
    can anyone help me proceed with this question in finding AB?
    thanks
    byron

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2005 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can use the cosine law because you do know some angles, in particular, when you said:

i can prove that AB is perpendicular to CD and forms a right angle since CD passes through the the centres of the circles, therefore it is a perpendicular bisector of the chord AB.

Hint: You'll use the cosine law, but it will look like you're using a famous theorem, because this theorem is really just a particular case of the cosine law.

4. Dec 16, 2005 #3

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just split CD into two parts: x and 21 - x then use Pythagoras to find x from which AB/2 follows.

5. Dec 16, 2005 #4
    thank you very much i got it :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?