Understanding Circular Motion: The Role of Centripetal Acceleration

In summary: Imagine an arrow pointing in the direction of the object's motion. The magnitude of the velocity at any given point is the magnitude of the vector pointing from that point to the object. The direction of the velocity is the direction of the vector pointing from the object to the point where the velocity is measured.
Oliver Gough
<Moderator's note: Removed template prior to moving it from Homework.>

I am looking at centripetal acceleration, and I know that even at a constant speed the object is acceleration because its velocity is changing. But I don't understand how it is changing, like when is it negative and when is it positive ? Like if you were to make a simulation of the object going round in circles what would the velocity look like as it goes around, negative when down and positive when up? What about horizontal?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oliver Gough said:
<Moderator's note: Removed template prior to moving it from Homework.>

I am looking at centripetal acceleration, and I know that even at a constant speed the object is acceleration because its velocity is changing. But I don't understand how it is changing, like when is it negative and when is it positive ? Like if you were to make a simulation of the object going round in circles what would the velocity look like as it goes around, negative when down and positive when up? What about horizontal?
How do you describe velocity?

fresh_42 said:
How do you describe velocity?
Speed with a direction. I know it's direction is changing but how does it PHYSICALLY change? If you were to actually write down the velocity at each moment.

No?

Oliver Gough said:
Speed with a direction. I know it's direction is changing but how does it PHYSICALLY change? If you were to actually write down the velocity at each moment.
Velocity is a vector. One easy way to write it down is as an ordered pair (x,y) using cartesian coordinates.

Oliver Gough said:

Are you looking for a derivation of the math describing circular motion (including the change in velocity)?

It might be easier to think about this using polar coordinates than regular xy coordinates.

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves in a circular path around a fixed point or axis. This type of motion is characterized by a constant speed, but a continuously changing direction.

2. What are the types of circular motion?

There are two types of circular motion: uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion. In uniform circular motion, the speed of the object remains constant, while in non-uniform circular motion, the speed varies at different points along the circular path.

3. What is the centripetal force in circular motion?

The centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is responsible for constantly changing the direction of the object's velocity.

4. How is circular motion related to Newton's laws of motion?

Circular motion is related to Newton's laws of motion in that it follows the laws of inertia, force, and action-reaction. In circular motion, the object's inertia causes it to continue moving in a straight line, but the centripetal force acts to change its direction, in accordance with Newton's first law. The centripetal force also follows Newton's second law, as it is directly proportional to the mass and velocity of the object. Lastly, the action-reaction pair in circular motion is the centripetal force and the centrifugal force, which is the object's natural tendency to move in a straight line.

5. How is circular motion used in real-life applications?

Circular motion has many real-life applications, such as in amusement park rides, like roller coasters and carousels, where the circular motion creates a thrilling experience for the riders. It is also used in sports, like figure skating and gymnastics, to perform impressive and graceful moves. In addition, circular motion is used in the design of engines and motors, as well as in the motion of planets and other celestial bodies in the solar system.