Help on Circular motion

<Moderator's note: Removed template prior to moving it from Homework.>

I am looking at centripetal acceleration, and I know that even at a constant speed the object is acceleration because its velocity is changing. But I don't understand how it is changing, like when is it negative and when is it positive ? Like if you were to make a simulation of the object going round in circles what would the velocity look like as it goes around, negative when down and positive when up? What about horizontal?

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

<Moderator's note: Removed template prior to moving it from Homework.>

I am looking at centripetal acceleration, and I know that even at a constant speed the object is acceleration because its velocity is changing. But I don't understand how it is changing, like when is it negative and when is it positive ? Like if you were to make a simulation of the object going round in circles what would the velocity look like as it goes around, negative when down and positive when up? What about horizontal?
How do you describe velocity?

How do you describe velocity?
Speed with a direction. I know it's direction is changing but how does it PHYSICALLY change? If you were to actually write down the velocity at each moment.

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Speed with a direction. I know it's direction is changing but how does it PHYSICALLY change? If you were to actually write down the velocity at each moment.
Velocity is a vector. One easy way to write it down is as an ordered pair (x,y) using cartesian coordinates.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

Are you looking for a derivation of the math describing circular motion (including the change in velocity)?

CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
It might be easier to think about this using polar coordinates than regular xy coordinates.