1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help on continous probability question!

1. Jan 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The r.v (X,Y) is distributed uniformly in the triangle with vertices (0,0), (1,0), (1,-1).

claim (a): The variable (X^2, Y^2) is distributed uniformly in the region {(x,y): 0 <= x <= 1, 0 <= y <= x^2}.

2. Relevant equations

-

3. The attempt at a solution

I have the solution but I do not understand it.

"If (X^2, Y^2) would be distributed uniformly in {(x,y): 0 <= x <= 1,
    0 <= y <= x^2}, then in particular,

P(Y^2 > (X^2)^2) = 0"

This makes sense, I doubt I'd try proving the new r.v wasn't distributed uniformly in the new interval in this way, but OK.

Continuing..

"...However: P(Y^2 > (X^2)^2) >= P(X <= 0.1, Y <= -0.9) = 2*(0.1^2)/2 = 0.01"

How in heaven's name the second inequality was derived? I do not understand this and the choice of the numbers ...

Please help. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Something is wrong: you say that (X,Y) ranges over the triangle with vertices (0,0), (1,0), (1,-1) which lies in the region Y < 0. Therefore, we cannot have positive probability on the region 0 <= x <= 1, 0 <= y <= x^2.

RGV

4. Jan 30, 2012 #3
    For the original variable, but the new r.v is x squared, y squared: (X^2, Y^2)

It would make some sense that it would be distributed in that region...

5. Jan 30, 2012 #4
    I don't believe the claim, either for the area over which it is distributed, or for uniformity.

edit to add: For example, the zone near (0.7,-0.7) for the original rv will be transformed to a zone near (0.5,0.5) - won't it? - but that seems to be excluded from the claimed area.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  6. Jan 30, 2012 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think the OP has clearly stated what the problem is. Perhaps it is to show ##(X^2,Y^2)## is distributed over ##0\le y \le x^2,\ 0\le x\le 1)## but is not uniform. That I could agree with.

7. Jan 30, 2012 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I guess I am still confused. The random pair (U=X^2,V=Y^2) ranges over the set {0 <= u <= 1, 0 <= v <= u} because the boundary y=-x of the original set becomes u=v in the new variables.

RGV

8. Jan 30, 2012 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That makes sense to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook