Help on continous probability question

In summary, the conversation discusses the distribution of a random variable (X,Y) in a triangular region and the claim that the transformed variable (X^2,Y^2) is uniformly distributed in the region {(x,y): 0 <= x <= 1, 0 <= y <= x^2}. However, it is shown that this claim is not true, as the new variable is not uniformly distributed in this region.
esvee

Homework Statement

The r.v (X,Y) is distributed uniformly in the triangle with vertices (0,0), (1,0), (1,-1).

claim (a): The variable (X^2, Y^2) is distributed uniformly in the region {(x,y): 0 <= x <= 1, 0 <= y <= x^2}.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the solution but I do not understand it.

"If (X^2, Y^2) would be distributed uniformly in {(x,y): 0 <= x <= 1,
0 <= y <= x^2}, then in particular,

P(Y^2 > (X^2)^2) = 0"

This makes sense, I doubt I'd try proving the new r.v wasn't distributed uniformly in the new interval in this way, but OK.

Continuing..

"...However: P(Y^2 > (X^2)^2) >= P(X <= 0.1, Y <= -0.9) = 2*(0.1^2)/2 = 0.01"

How in heaven's name the second inequality was derived? I do not understand this and the choice of the numbers ...

Please help. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Something is wrong: you say that (X,Y) ranges over the triangle with vertices (0,0), (1,0), (1,-1) which lies in the region Y < 0. Therefore, we cannot have positive probability on the region 0 <= x <= 1, 0 <= y <= x^2.

RGV

For the original variable, but the new r.v is x squared, y squared: (X^2, Y^2)

It would make some sense that it would be distributed in that region...

I don't believe the claim, either for the area over which it is distributed, or for uniformity.

edit to add: For example, the zone near (0.7,-0.7) for the original rv will be transformed to a zone near (0.5,0.5) - won't it? - but that seems to be excluded from the claimed area.

Last edited:
I don't think the OP has clearly stated what the problem is. Perhaps it is to show ##(X^2,Y^2)## is distributed over ##0\le y \le x^2,\ 0\le x\le 1)## but is not uniform. That I could agree with.

I guess I am still confused. The random pair (U=X^2,V=Y^2) ranges over the set {0 <= u <= 1, 0 <= v <= u} because the boundary y=-x of the original set becomes u=v in the new variables.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
I guess I am still confused. The random pair (U=X^2,V=Y^2) ranges over the set {0 <= u <= 1, 0 <= v <= u} because the boundary y=-x of the original set becomes u=v in the new variables.

RGV

That makes sense to me.

1. What is continuous probability?

Continuous probability is a concept in statistics that refers to the likelihood of a continuous random variable taking on a specific value within a given range. Unlike discrete probability, which deals with outcomes that can only take on specific values, continuous probability deals with outcomes that can take on any value within a certain range.

2. How is continuous probability calculated?

Continuous probability can be calculated using the probability density function (PDF) of a continuous random variable. This function represents the probability of the variable taking on a particular value. The area under the PDF curve within a given range represents the probability of the variable falling within that range.

3. What is the difference between continuous and discrete probability?

The main difference between continuous and discrete probability is the type of variables they deal with. Continuous probability deals with variables that can take on any value within a range, while discrete probability deals with variables that can only take on specific values. Additionally, continuous probability uses the probability density function, while discrete probability uses the probability mass function.

4. How is continuous probability used in real life?

Continuous probability is used in a wide range of fields, including finance, engineering, and medicine. It can be used to model and predict the likelihood of continuous events, such as stock market fluctuations, traffic patterns, and disease spread. It also plays a crucial role in statistical analysis and decision-making.

5. What are some common applications of continuous probability?

Some common applications of continuous probability include predicting the outcome of a sporting event, estimating the risk of a stock portfolio, and determining the likelihood of a specific weather event. It is also used in quality control processes to ensure products meet certain standards and in risk assessment to evaluate potential hazards and their likelihood of occurring.