1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help on differential equations PLEASE

1. Sep 15, 2008 #1
    1. I need to reduce [tex](a_{1}x + b_{1}y + c_{1})dx + (a_{2}x + b_{2}x +c_{2})dy = 0[/tex] to:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = F ( ax + by) [/tex]

with [tex] a_{1}b_{2} = a_{2}b_{1}[/tex]

i.e.:
    [tex] a_{1}b_{2}=a_{2}b_{1}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{a_{2}}{a_{1}} = k[/tex] and [tex]\frac{b_{2}}{b_{1}} = k[/tex]

First Try: I solved for dy/dx and tired to deal with the a's and b's. But I am still left with c1 and c2.
    Second Try: I tried a different approach by letting x=m+h and y=n+k, then substitute it in and try to solve for h and k. But since the coefficient of dy has 2 x's instead of a x and y, i got a system of 2 "ugly" equations that lead nowhere... (or does it?)

I tried to used the 2 methods in different ways but it seems like I am running in circle.. Can anyone pls help??

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's a hint: Would you consider [tex]\frac{u+2}{5u+10}[/tex] to be a function of [tex]u[/tex]?

How about [tex]\frac{u+c_1}{ku+c_2}[/tex] where [tex]c_1,&c_2,&k[/tex] are constants?

What about when [tex]u \equiv ax+by[/tex] where [tex]a \equiv a_1[/tex] and [tex]b \equiv b_1[/tex]?

4. Sep 15, 2008 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi chocok! :smile:

It must mean [tex](a_{1}x + b_{1}y + c_{1})dx + (a_{2}x + b_{2}y +c_{2})dy = 0[/tex]

what you've been given is obviously a misprint! :redface:

And do you need to get rid of the constants, c1 and c2? …

for example, (ax + by + c1)2 + sin(ax + by + c2) + log(ax + by + c3) would still be of the form F(ax + by). :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?