Simplifying Dimensional Analysis for Unit Conversions

In summary, dimensional analysis is a method of converting units and simplifying equations by looking at the units involved. It is important to remember that you cannot add or subtract terms with different powers and that multiplying units with inverse units will result in a unitless number. The example of 1/6 times 6 = 1 is meant to show how units can "cancel out" when multiplied together. It may be challenging at first, but with practice, it can help solve more complex problems with ease.
Beholder
Hello I'm learning physics and also brushing up on some math (its been 10yrs) and I encountered difficulty in understanding Dimensional analysis. I don't really understand how they know what number goes on top or what goes on bottom. I've read some explaintations but they just confused me more, one for instance was using the example that 1/6th times 6 over 1 = 1, so what? what are they trying to show me here I'm not catching on. If they give me a fairly simple word problem where you have to convert different units I can do it in my head but I would like to understand D.A. in order to solve more complex problems with more ease. Can anyone offer some help?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's not too difficult.

If you are trying to work some quantity out then the idea is to look at what units it would be measured in. For example if you have something where you know that it will be measured in length squared then you don't need to bother looking at time or energy as a variable.

Similarly it wouldn't make sense to add metres squared to metres cubed and things like that.

Beholder said:
... one for instance was using the example that 1/6th times 6 over 1 = 1, so what? what are they trying to show me here I'm not catching on. ...
Let's take meters. Meter times meter times meter = meter cubed.

If you invert meter cubed you'd get inverse meters cubed: [itex]1/ \text{m}^3 = \text{m}^{-3}[/itex]

First of all, you may not add or subtract terms with different Powers. For ex., if A (for "area") is measured in meters squared (e.g. A = 1500[itex]\text{m}^2[/itex]) and V (for "volume") is measured in meters cubed (e.g. V = 16000[itex]\text{m}^3[/itex]), then A + V does not make any sense; it's like "adding apples and oranges."

Now, let's say you are multiplying a quantity (say V = 16000[itex]\text{m}^3[/itex]) measured in meters cubed with another quantity measured in inverse meters cubed (say W = 9[itex]\text{m}^{-3}[/itex]). Then, V times W = 144000 which is a unitless number (a "pure number"). It's as if the meters cubed and inverse meters cubed "cancel out." Just like 1/3 would cancel 3 out. That's what 1/6 times 6 = 1 is aiming to represent in my opinion.

Last edited:

What is dimensional analysis and why is it important?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical technique used to convert between different units of measurement. It is important because it allows scientists to accurately compare and combine data from different sources.

What are the basic steps of dimensional analysis?

The basic steps of dimensional analysis are:1. Identify the starting unit and the desired unit2. Write down the conversion factors for each unit3. Set up the problem using the conversion factors4. Cancel out units to reach the desired unit5. Solve the problem and double check the units

How can dimensional analysis be used in a laboratory setting?

Dimensional analysis can be used in a laboratory setting to convert between units of measurement for experiments and data analysis. It can also be used to check the accuracy of measurements and to ensure that all data is being compared in the same units.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in dimensional analysis?

Some common mistakes in dimensional analysis include:- Using incorrect conversion factors- Not properly canceling out units- Forgetting to include units in the final answer- Not converting all units in a problem

Can dimensional analysis be used for complex equations?

Yes, dimensional analysis can be used for complex equations. However, it is important to break down the problem into smaller steps and use conversion factors for each individual unit to avoid mistakes. It is also important to double check the final answer to ensure that all units are properly converted.