Why Is My Electric Potential Calculation Incorrect?

In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for help with a physics problem involving electric potential and potential energy. They have attempted to solve the problem using equations and have received incorrect answers. Another person has pointed out that they may be making arithmetic errors.
supermenscher
I have done this problem over and over and keep getting the wrong answer. What is the electric potential a distance of 3.0E-15m away from a proton.

I used V=kQ/r and got 4.8E-25 V, and it says the answer is wrong.

The second part of the question asks what is the potential energy of a system that consists of 2 protons 3.0E-15m apart.

I used V=k(1.6*10E-19)^2/r and got 7.68E-44J and webassign told me it was wrong. Can anyone help

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you so much

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the electrical potential energy per unit charge. It represents the amount of work that is needed to move a unit positive charge from a reference point to a specific point within an electric field.

2. How do you calculate electric potential?

The formula for calculating electric potential is V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the source, and r is the distance from the source to the point where the potential is being calculated.

3. How does electric potential relate to electric field?

Electric potential and electric field are closely related. Electric field is a measure of the force that a charge would experience at a specific point, while electric potential is a measure of the potential energy of a charge at that point. The relationship between the two is given by E = -dV/dr, where E is the electric field, V is the electric potential, and r is the distance from the source.

4. What factors affect electric potential?

The electric potential at a point is affected by the charge of the source, the distance from the source, and the medium in which the charge is located. The potential will also vary depending on the shape and orientation of the source and the presence of any other charges or conductors in the vicinity.

5. How is electric potential used in practical applications?

Electric potential is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the design and operation of electronic circuits, the measurement of electric potential difference (voltage) in batteries and power sources, and in medical devices such as electrocardiograms (ECGs) to measure the electrical activity of the heart.