How Do You Correctly Expand Trigonometric Equations Involving Sine and ArcTan?

• Thread starter ultrabionic_ang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expanding
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of trigonometric identities to solve a mathematical expression involving a square root and sine function. The desired answer is B cos omega*t + C sin omega*t, but the speaker has been getting a different result. They ask for clarification and are advised to use the identities \sin (x + y) = \sin x \cos y + \cos x \sin y and \sin \tan^{-1} x = x/ \sqrt {1 + x^2} for cosine. This helps the speaker understand and they express their gratitude.
ultrabionic_ang
hello.. I've been having some trouble with expanding this:

(B^2+C^2)^(1/2) X sin (omega*t +(taninverse B/C)

(read as: square root of (b squared plus c squared) times sin times the quantity omega times t plus taninverse of B divided by C)

apparently, the answer is supposed to be B cos omega*t + C sin omega*t .. but I've gotten like B arctan omega^2(t) + C cos omega*t... i just wanted to know like the way to get the answer.. i think I'm using trig identities incorrectly..

Physics news on Phys.org
What you need is [itex]\sin (x + y) = \sin x \cos y + \cos x \sin y[/itex] and use the fact that [itex]\sin \tan^{-1} x = x/ \sqrt {1 + x^2}[/itex] and similarly for the cosine.

thanks! that helped a lot! thank you!

What is the purpose of expanding an equation?

The purpose of expanding an equation is to simplify it and make it easier to work with. This can involve breaking down complex expressions, combining like terms, and reducing fractions.

What are the steps involved in expanding an equation?

The steps involved in expanding an equation may vary depending on the specific equation, but generally involve using the distributive property and combining like terms. This can be done through manual calculation or using software tools like algebraic calculators.

When should one expand an equation?

Expanding an equation is usually done when the equation is too complex or difficult to work with in its current form. It can also be helpful when trying to solve for a specific variable in the equation or when graphing the equation.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when expanding an equation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when expanding an equation include forgetting to distribute negative signs, not properly combining like terms, and losing track of the original equation. It is important to double check your work and go back to the original equation to ensure accuracy.

Are there any tips or tricks for expanding equations?

One tip for expanding equations is to simplify each term as much as possible before combining them. This can make the process easier and less prone to errors. Additionally, practicing regularly and familiarizing yourself with common algebraic rules can make expanding equations easier and faster.