Factoring (n+1)! - 1 + (n+1)(n+1)! Step-by-Step

• Thread starter L²Cc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factorials
In summary, the conversation involves a discussion on how to factor a mathematical expression, specifically (n+1)! - 1 + (n+1)(n+1)!. One person initially provides the answer but does not know how to get there. Another person points out that the answer is incorrect and explains the correct process of factoring the expression. The conversation then shifts to discussing the concept of factorials and substitution of variables to make the problem easier to understand. Towards the end, there is a confirmation that the first problem was correctly factored.
L²Cc
can you please explain (step by step) how to factor the following:

(n+1)! - 1 + (n+1)(n+1)!

i have the answer, don't know how to get there!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
radou, that's absolutely wrong. You realized you just proved (n+1)!=1 for all n?

Office_Shredder said:
radou, that's absolutely wrong. You realized you just proved (n+1)!=1 for all n?

Yes, I just did. :biggrin:

That's not fair! You can't delete your post like that! :P

Getting back on topic:

(n+1)! + (n+1)*(n+1)! - 1 = (n+1)!*(1 + n + 1) - 1.

Can you go from there?

thanks for the quick reply...
You see that's where i get confused...how did you end up with (1 + n + 1)...
Is (n+1)! = (n-1)(n)(n+1)...and so forth?!

(n+1)! + (n+1)*(n+1)! = (n+1)!*1 + (n+1)!*(n+1). You factor (n+1)! out and are left with 1 + n + 1

And yes, (n+1)! = (n+1)*n*(n-1)...

does the factoring process of (n+1)! involve (n+1)! = (n+1)*n*(n-1)... ?

[tex] (n+1)! = n!(n+1) [/tex]

oh all right i see what you guys are coming at...would it have been easier if i had substituted any variable (say, h) for (n+1)!...? and then factored it...
Btw, this is part of a mathematical induction...im trying to understand factorials better!
thank you guys!

(this does not involve factorials anymore)...
[k(k+1)(k+2)(k+3) + 4(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)]/4
factor this out...
What's the common factor? How did you get there? (ok i hope it doesn't require expanding the polynomials :p)
Again, would it be easier if i substituted every (k+x) by a different variable, where (k+1) would equal to variable 'A', (k+2) = B, and so forth?

Last edited:
L²Cc said:
Again, would it be easier if i substituted every (k+x) by a different variable, where (k+1) would equal to variable 'A', (k+2) = B, and so forth?

If it helps you, sure.

L²Cc said:

Only if afterwards you plug the (k+x)'s back in, so you can see what your new thing looks like.

And I disagree, the problem you posted does deal with factorials.

Just to confirm, you did figure out how the first problem became (n+2)! - 1 right?

1. What is factoring?

Factoring is the process of breaking down a mathematical expression into its smaller components, typically in order to simplify or solve the expression.

2. What is (n+1)! - 1 + (n+1)(n+1)! step-by-step?

(n+1)! - 1 + (n+1)(n+1)! step-by-step refers to the process of factoring the expression (n+1)! - 1 + (n+1)(n+1)!, breaking it down into smaller components in a step-by-step manner.

3. Why is factoring important in mathematics?

Factoring is important in mathematics because it allows us to simplify complex expressions, solve equations, and find patterns and relationships between numbers.

4. What are the steps to factor (n+1)! - 1 + (n+1)(n+1)! step-by-step?

The steps to factor (n+1)! - 1 + (n+1)(n+1)! step-by-step include: 1) identifying common factors, 2) using algebraic techniques such as grouping or substitution, 3) simplifying the expression by combining like terms, and 4) factoring out any remaining terms.

5. What are some real-life applications of factoring?

Factoring is used in a variety of real-life applications such as cryptography, finance, and engineering. In cryptography, factoring is used to break down large numbers in order to encrypt data. In finance, factoring is used to calculate interest rates and loan payments. In engineering, factoring is used to solve complex equations and optimize designs.