1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help on finding Galois group

1. Dec 11, 2007 #1
    I was asked to find the Galois group of [tex]x^8-1[/tex] over Q,

I first find all the roots to it :
    [tex]\pm i[/tex] , [tex]\pm \sqrt{i}[/tex] , [tex]\pm i \cdot \sqrt{i}[/tex], [tex]\pm 1[/tex].

Then since [tex]i \cdot \sqrt{i}[/tex] is just a multiple of i and sqrt(i)
    so I had Q(i, sqrt(i)) being the splitting field for the equation over Q.
    Next, [Q(i, sqrt(i)) :Q] = 4, so I conclude that the Galois group is a cyclic group of order 4.

is the above correct? If not, can someone please tell me what's wrong? Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2007 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not going to be the cyclic group of order 4.

In general I would avoid writing [itex]\sqrt{i}[/itex]; wich square root of i are you taking?

The roots of x^8 - 1 are going to be the 8th roots of unity, so the splitting field will be generated over Q by the primitive 8th root of unity [itex]\zeta_8 = e^{2 \pi i / 8}[/itex]. That is, the splitting field is going to be [itex]\mathbb{Q}(\zeta_8)[/itex]. Consequently [itex][\mathbb{Q}(\zeta_8) : \mathbb{Q}] = ???[/itex] and [itex]\text{Gal}(\mathbb{Q}(\zeta_8) / \mathbb{Q}) \cong ???[/itex].

Try to take it from here.

4. Dec 12, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The square roots of i are [itex](\sqrt{2}/2)(1\pm i)[/itex].

5. Dec 12, 2007 #4
    thanks~ pls tell me this is right

for the 8 roots, eliminating the ones that can be expressed as multiples of others, i am left with [tex]e^{2\pi i/8}[/tex] and [tex]e^{\pi i/2}[/tex]=i where their orders are 4 and 2 respectively so i get a splitting field over Q of order 8 =>Gal( Q( [tex]e^{2\pi i/8}[/tex] , [tex]e^{\pi i/2})[/tex] / Q) [tex]\cong[/tex] cyclic group of order 8 (D4)??

6. Dec 12, 2007 #5

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex](e^{2 \pi i /8})^2 = e^{\pi i /2}[/tex]

The splitting field is Q(e^(2pi*i/8)) which is of order 4 over Q. So the Galois group is either C_2 x C_2 or C_4. It's not going to be C_4 (why?).

[If you're comfortable with cyclotomic extensions, then this amounts to the fact that [itex]\text{Gal}(\mathbb{Q}(\zeta_8) / \mathbb{Q}) \cong (\mathbb{Z}/8\mathbb{Z})^* \cong C_2 \times C_2[/itex].]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?