Is the Calculation of Force on a Bullet in a Rifle Barrel Correct?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a bullet leaving the muzzle of a rifle with a given speed and determining the force exerted on it while traveling down the barrel. Two equations were used to solve the problem, both yielding a similar result of 312.2N.
eb41490
help on homework please...force

hey, i don't know if what i did for this question is correct, because the equation i found in my textbook may not be the right one to use.

A 5.0g bullet leaves the muzzle of a rifle with a speed of 320m/s. What force (assumed constant) is exerted on the bullet while it is traveling down the .82m-long barrel of the rifle?

i used the equation:
(m(v^2)) / 2d =F

(.005kg*(320m/s)^2 )/ (2*.82m) =F
F= 312.2N

Is this close to being correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two ways to do this problem, the easiest is with energy (which is what I assume you did), I deleted a post doing the other way :redface:

Take work done on the bullet and equate to kinetic energy:

[tex]Fd = \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]
[tex]F = \frac{mv^2}{2d}[/tex]

Your answer looks good to me :approve:

I'm not sure if the force would be constant or if there would be a change in force as the bullet travels down the barrel. If you could clarify that for me, that would be great. Also, it would be helpful if you could provide more information about the specific problem you need help with so I can provide a more accurate response. Thank you.

What is "Help on homework please force"?

"Help on homework please force" is a phrase or request for assistance with completing homework assignments, specifically with the use of force or pressure.

Why do students need help with homework sometimes?

Students may need help with homework due to a variety of reasons, such as not understanding the material, having too much work to complete, or having other commitments that prevent them from devoting enough time to their assignments.

What are some ways to get help with homework?

Some ways to get help with homework include asking a teacher or tutor for assistance, seeking help from classmates or study groups, or using online resources and tools.

Is it okay to ask for help with homework?

Yes, it is perfectly okay to ask for help with homework. It is important for students to understand that seeking help does not mean they are not capable or intelligent, but rather that they are taking proactive steps to improve their understanding and performance.

How can "force" be used in relation to homework?

"Force" in relation to homework can refer to external pressure or motivation, such as a strict deadline or consequences for not completing assignments, or it can refer to using internal motivation and discipline to push oneself to complete tasks.