Calculating Carbon Fixation: Ideal Gas Law for Forests | 25oC & 1 atm

In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of carbon that is fixed into plant matter through photosynthesis in actively growing forests. The atmosphere contains 0.046% CO2 by weight and the ideal gas law is used to calculate the volume of air needed to provide 1 kg of carbon. The volume of air is found to be 12232.9 L. Part B of the conversation involves calculating the amount of carbon present in the entire atmosphere above one square meter of the Earth's surface. The ideal gas law is used again, but with a pressure of 1.0332 X 10^4 kg/m2. The 0.046% weight of CO2 in the atmosphere is calculated to be 0.046 g and
yang09

Homework Statement

Each square meter of an actively growing forsest fixes on average each year 1 kg of carbon from the atmosphere into plant matter through photosynthesis. The atmosphere is approximately 20% O2 and 80% N2, but contains 0.046% CO2 by weight.

a.) What volume of air at 25oC and 1 atm is needed to provide this 1 kg of carbon?
b.) How much carbon is present in the entire atmosphere lying above each square meter of the Earth's surface? (Hint: 1 atm is equivalent to 1.0332 X 104 kg/m2
c.) At the current rate of utilization, how long would it take to use all the CO2 in the entire atmosphere directly above a forest

Homework Equations

Ideal Gas Law: PV = nRT
R = 0.0821

The Attempt at a Solution

I know for Part a, I am going to use the ideal gas law and "n" will be the moles of carbon, but do not know how to incorporate the percent by weight of Carbon dioxide(0.046%) to find the moles of carbon. Any help or advice is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
1 kg of carbon - how many kg of carbon dioxide? Let's call it x.

If x is 0.046% of some mass - what is 100%?

Now you have to convert this mass of air to volume. IMHO you can't, as question is ambiguous. You aren't told if it is 20/80 by mass, or by volume. Make your pick and continue.

Im not really following your line of reasoning. Can you please explain further. From what I understand from your post is that our unknown is going to be the kg of Carbon Dioxide. Is that correct? Where do we go from there? What does IMHO stand for as well? Thanks

IMHO = In My humble Opinion.

No, x is not an unknown, it just a mass that you should calculate, from a simple stoichiometry. Sorry if the choice of the symbol was confusing.

So x is the kg of Carbon dioxide. But we are not given a balanced equation to convert the 1kg of Carbon to kg of Carbon Dioxide. How would i go about and find the mass of Carbon Dioxide? I know that the 0.046% is the percent weight of Carbon Dioxide in the atmosphere so if I were to use the percent weight of Carbon Dioxide, I could only use this formula: 0.046% = [mass of Carbon Dioxide / Total mass in atmosphere( Oxygen + nitrogen + dioxide)] X 100.
Is it possible to incorporate the 1 kg of Carbon to the percent weight of Carbon Dioxide?

How much carbon is needed to produce 1 kg of carbon dioxide? Think simple combustion. How many moles of dioxide can be produced from 1 mole of carbon? How many moles of carbon present in one mole of carbon dioxide?

Or even better - think just about percent composition of the compound.

You know formula, you know molar mass, you have everything needed.

So from the Photosynthesis formula, I know that 1 mol of Carbon(glucose) produces 6 moles of carbon dioxide. Here is my calculation: (1000g Carbon) X (1mol Carbon/12 g Carbon) X (6 mol CO2/1mol C) = 500 moles of CO2 (seems kind of big). My "n" that I used in the ideal gas law was the moles of CO2. Is that right? With 500 moles of CO2, I got a volume of 12232.9 L of air. This can't be right...

yang09 said:
I know that 1 mol of Carbon(glucose) produces 6 moles of carbon dioxide.

1 mole of glucose is not 1 mole of carbon.

Apparently you have problems with moles/formulas. What does formula CO2 tell about the compound composition? If there is a mole of CO2, how many molecules of CO2 does it contain? How many atoms of C? How many moles of C?

I assumed that the moles from glucose was the same as the moles of carbon because in the photosythesis process, CO2 is converted to carbon chains, which are then converted to glucose. I guess my thought process behind that was wrong then. To go from 1 mol of CO2 to molecules or atoms, I know that you just multiply by avogadros number. But to go from 1 mol of CO2 to 1 mol of C, would you do the same thing? I don't believe we should.

Answer precisely - one by one - my questions from the previous post.

The compound composition of CO2 are 2 atoms of Oxygen and 1 atom of Carbon. I am basing this off of the formula
1 mole of CO2 = 6.022 X 10^23 molecules of CO2
Since you have 1 atom of Carbon, you would also have 1 mole of carbon
Am I right?

yang09 said:
Since you have 1 atom of Carbon, you would also have 1 mole of carbon
Am I right?

Yes, that's correct.

So going back to the question, I know that one mole of carbon dioxide produces one mole of carbon. To clarify things up, in the ideal gas law, is the "n" we are solving for the moles of carbon dioxide since the question wants us to find the volume of air needed to support the 1 kg of Carbon. If it is, then I would use stoichiometry to find the moles of CO2 starting from the 1kg of Carbon. Is this reasoning correct?

yang09 said:
If it is, then I would use stoichiometry to find the moles of CO2 starting from the 1kg of Carbon. Is this reasoning correct?

Yes, that's what I suggested in my first post in this thread.

Thanks Borek for the help and explaining the things to me. It really cleared things up. I got the answer now for part A

For Part B, I have a feeling that we will be using the ideal gas law again, except our pressure will be 1.0332 X 10^4 kg/ m2 instead of 1 atm and we will be solving for "n", the moles of Carbon. To find the amount of Carbon in the atmosphere, I assumed that the 0.046% weight of CO2 in the atmosphere weighed 0.046 g and that the total mass of all gases in the atmosphere was 100 g. Is that correct? From here, I solved for the mass of of Carbon dioxide and through stoichiometry, solved for the amount of carbon in the atmosphere in grams. Is my work correct?

Forget what I said in the previous post about my work for Part B. I did not use the Ideal Gas law. What I did was that I used the percent weight of CO2 in the atmosphere and I set up the equation: 0.046 = (mass of CO2/mass of all gases in the atmosphere) X 100%.
I assumed that the masses of all gases in the atmosphere was 100g, so that would have made the mass of CO2 to be 0.046g. From here, I used stoichiometry to solve for the amount of Carbon in the atmosphere in units of gram. Does this sound right?

Why 100 g? You are given mass, almost directly.

Thanks Borek. I got an answer to it

1. How do you calculate carbon fixation using the ideal gas law for forests?

To calculate carbon fixation, you would use the ideal gas law formula: PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature. In this case, the pressure is 1 atm, the temperature is 25oC, and the volume would be the volume of the forest.

2. What is the significance of using the ideal gas law for forests?

The ideal gas law is a useful tool for calculating the amount of carbon dioxide absorbed by forests, as it takes into account the temperature and pressure of the environment. This allows for a more accurate measurement of carbon fixation in the given conditions.

3. What is the unit of measurement for carbon fixation using the ideal gas law for forests?

The unit of measurement for carbon fixation using the ideal gas law is moles of carbon dioxide (CO2). This represents the amount of carbon dioxide that is absorbed or fixed by the forest.

4. How does temperature affect carbon fixation in forests?

Temperature plays a significant role in carbon fixation in forests. In general, warmer temperatures lead to higher rates of photosynthesis, resulting in increased carbon fixation. However, extreme temperatures or temperature fluctuations can also have negative effects on plant growth and carbon fixation.

5. What other factors besides temperature and pressure can affect carbon fixation in forests?

Other factors that can affect carbon fixation in forests include the availability of water, nutrients, and light. These factors can influence the rate of photosynthesis and the overall health and growth of the forest, ultimately affecting the amount of carbon dioxide that is fixed.