What Are the Basics and Applications of Infrared Technology?

In summary, Tina Lau, a third year product design student at the University of Wales Institute, Cardiff, is seeking information on Infrared Technology for her research project. She is looking for details on its uses, function, potential, and any other relevant information. A link to a website providing schematics and control methods for IR technology is suggested, along with a recommendation to do a Google search for more information. Tina also mentions needing information on British and safety standards, as well as the advantages and disadvantages of IR compared to other technologies. Any assistance would be appreciated.
tinalau
Hi,

I am a third year product design student at the University of Wales Institute, Cardiff and am currently working on my research project.

I was hoping that the some of you would be able to provide me with as much information as you could on Infrared Technology, such as its uses, how it works, its potential and any other details about the technology that you could offer.

Cheers for any help anyone can give me!

Tina Lau

Computer science news on Phys.org
How technical do you need to get? This site provides schematics for both recievers and transmitters, as well as how to control the IR signal from a serial port on a computer running linux:

http://www.lirc.org/

Why don't you do a google search for IR?

Cheers dduardo for the link!

Got quite a few links n articles on Infrared, a lot of it [retty much too technical for me! A few links i need to pay for which is a bit of a bummer an all! The main things I need is:

-What is infrared, how does it function and what're its capabilities
-How it communicates data
-What r the British/Safety Standards that need to b considered
-Advantages n Disadvantages to IR compared to wires n bluetooth.

Any form of help will be appreciated guys!

Cheers!

1. What is infrared technology?

Infrared technology is a type of technology that uses infrared light to gather and interpret information. It is often used in various industries, such as medicine, communications, and security.

2. How does infrared technology work?

Infrared technology works by using infrared light, which is a type of electromagnetic radiation with a longer wavelength than visible light. Sensors are used to detect this light and convert it into an electronic signal, which can then be processed and interpreted.

3. What are the applications of infrared technology?

Infrared technology has a wide range of applications, including in thermal imaging, remote sensing, night vision, and communication. It is also used in industries such as agriculture, aerospace, and military.

4. What are the advantages of using infrared technology?

One of the main advantages of infrared technology is that it can detect and measure heat, making it useful in medical and industrial fields. It is also non-invasive and can be used in various environmental conditions, such as low light or fog.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with infrared technology?

In general, infrared technology is considered safe for use. However, prolonged exposure to high levels of infrared radiation can cause damage to the eyes and skin. It is important to follow safety guidelines and use protective equipment when working with infrared technology.