Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help on Infrared transmitter Circuit

1. Jan 18, 2008 #1
    Hi all,

i need some help on this circuit that im building. i want to get the maximum current for my infrared emitting diode (Kingbright L-53F3C)
    datasheet->http://www.soselectronic.com/a_info/resource/pdf/king/L-53F3C.pdf

the peak forward current permitted is 1.2A (condition: 1/10 DutyCycle, and 0,1ms pulse width. but i dont understand how to apply this..

(the idea is more current equals more distance...)

i have attached my IR transmitter block diagram...

i am also using a N-MOSFET BS170 and the maximum current allowed is 500mA continuous and 1200mA pulsed (not really sure what that means either).

datasheet->http://w3.id.tue.nl/fileadmin/id/objects/E-Atelier/doc/Datasheets/Transistoren/BS170.pdf

so basically i would help on how do obtain the value of the Resistor R for my signal do be sent more efficiently for my specified frequency (90kHz) and dutycycle (5%) (without burning the IR LED).

any help is much appreciated thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2008 #2

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wouldn't you find the resistance that gives 1.2A current continious, then make sure that your pulses are 10 mircosec or less with a 10% maximum duty cycle?

4. Jan 19, 2008 #3
    i have calculated the mean current for the IR LED for my signal

DATA:
    frequency = 90kHz
    Period = 11.11us
    Ton = 0.55us
    Toff = 10.056us
    Dutycycle = 5%

Ipk = 1.2A (peak current)

Im= Ipk * 0.05 <=> Im = 60mA (mean current)

now i must calculate the R to limit the current on the diode

R = (Vcc - V_led - Vmosfet ) / Im <=> R = (5-1.2-2.1) / 60mA = 28.3 Ohm

R gives me 28.3 Ohm, but im not very sure about this result i might be missing something...

then there is the power dissipation which is 100mW

if someone could help me out with these calculations, i have a book on this but its no very helpfull.
    thanks

dlgoff : do mean like this -> R = (Vcc - V_led - Vmosfet ) / Ipk , then i just pulse the signal normally?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  5. Jan 19, 2008 #4

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"dlgoff : do mean like this -> R = (Vcc - V_led - Vmosfet ) / Ipk , then i just pulse the signal normally?"

Well that's how I would do it, but I'm no expert here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?