Help on integrating polar coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses an exercise in which the final integration is left to the reader. The person attempting the exercise uses a substitution and the half angle formula to rewrite the equation. However, they are unsure of their computation error as their result does not match the book's answer.
jwxie

Homework Statement

I was looking at the book's example. The author left the final integration as an exercise, and I was attempting it.

1/2 integral of [ (2 - 2sin(delta) )^2 - 0 ] d delta from 0 to 2pi

for the sake of work, i will let x = delta

(2-2sin(x))^2 => 4 - 8sinx + 4sin^2(x)
and i know that the half angle formula sin^2(x) = (1-cos(2x)) / 2

rewrote:
4 - 8*sin(x) + 2 - 2*cos(2*x)

1/2 * integrate over x
4x + 8*cos(x) + 2x - sin(2*x)
and from 0 to 2pi

1/2 [12pi + 8 - 0] - [0 - 0 - 0 -1], but the book's answer was 6pi.

i am clueless, where is my computation error?
thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
8*cos(0)=8. The 8's cancel.

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a method of representing points in a two-dimensional coordinate system using a distance and an angle. The distance is measured from the origin, usually denoted as "r", and the angle is measured from a reference line, usually denoted as "θ". This type of coordinate system is useful for describing circular and symmetric shapes.

2. How do I convert between polar and rectangular coordinates?

To convert from polar coordinates (r, θ) to rectangular coordinates (x, y), you can use the following formulas:
x = r * cos(θ)
y = r * sin(θ)
To convert from rectangular coordinates (x, y) to polar coordinates (r, θ), you can use the following formulas:
r = √(x² + y²)
θ = arctan(y/x)

3. What is the difference between polar and Cartesian coordinates?

Cartesian coordinates, also known as rectangular coordinates, use two perpendicular axes (x and y) to represent points in a two-dimensional coordinate system. Polar coordinates use a distance and angle from a reference line to represent points. While Cartesian coordinates are best for representing straight lines, polar coordinates are best for representing circular and symmetric shapes.

4. How do I plot points in a polar coordinate system?

To plot a point in a polar coordinate system, first locate the distance (r) on the radial axis from the origin. Then, rotate the reference line (θ) to the appropriate angle. The point where the distance and angle intersect is the location of the plotted point.

5. How can I use polar coordinates in real-life applications?

Polar coordinates are commonly used in physics, engineering, and navigation. They are particularly useful for representing circular motion, such as the movement of planets around the sun, or the rotation of a wheel. They are also used in GPS systems to determine the location of a point on a map. Additionally, polar coordinates are used in computer graphics to create and manipulate circular and symmetrical shapes.