1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help on Linear Algebra proofs?

1. Sep 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm currently in first year linear algebra... I'm doing quite well, there's just one area of trouble-- proofs. For example:

Suppose u.v = u.w, does it follow that v = w? Prove your generalization.

Prove that u is orthogonal to v - proju(v) for all vectors u and v in R^n where u != 0.

Prove that (u + v) . (u - v) = ||u||^2 - ||v||^2 for all vectors u and v in R^n.

There are about 20 questions in my current assignment in this format. I haven't been able to answer one of them to my satisfaction, whereas I currently have all non-proof questions correct.

2. Relevant equations
    This is the problem. It could be anything. I have hundreds of equations with these variables in them... But in a test situation, I couldn't possibly try all possible equations and see if they yield anything useful.

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is also a problem. I haven't the slightest clue where to start. If I had a beginning point, or a way to find a beginning point, I might actually be able to do these questions. :)

Edit: perhaps there are some good websites that may have linear algebra proofs and other equations to practice with? There are so many sites out there, and the 20 or so I looked at today didn't have much material that I didn't already know... But there has got to be a good one somewhere.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

1. What is the definition of the dot product?
    2. I don't know what you mean by proju(v).
    3. Try using the distributivity of the dot product to expand the LHS, then simplify using commutivity.

4. Sep 15, 2007 #3
    Alright, I'll try those out tomorrow (I'm not at home right now.)

Do you have any general tips for what I should do for proofs? Are there any general suggestions about solving them that I'm missing?

As for #2, it's just "projection of v onto u.

Thanks! :)

5. Sep 15, 2007 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Erm.. not particularly. I would just advise to always write down the definitions of things you are trying to prove, and work from there. I guess someone else will be able to give more tips.

Ok, so do you have a definition for this projection operator? Use the definition then dot u with v-proj u(v) and see if it equals zero.
    You're welcome!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?