Mathematica Help: Inverse Plot of x[y] from y[x]

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter windfloyd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, to plot the inverse function of x[y] in Mathematica, use the InversePlot function and specify the original function and range for the y-axis. You can plot the inverse function of any expression and change the style of the plot using options in the InversePlot function. Multiple inverse plots can be added to the same graph using the Show function. To find the inverse function of x[y] in Mathematica, use the InverseFunction function.
windfloyd
I have a complex function y[x], and I want to plot x[y] but it's difficult to express x in term of y. Is there any way that I can inverse the plot of y[x] into plot of x[y], just like "fliping" the axes?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Google will tell you. Try "mathematica flip axes".

daudaudaudau said:
Google will tell you. Try "mathematica flip axes".

Thanks a lot. It did work.

1. How do I plot the inverse function of x[y] in Mathematica?

To plot the inverse function of x[y], use the InversePlot function in Mathematica. This function takes the form of InversePlot[x[y], {y, y_min, y_max}], where x[y] is the original function and y_min and y_max are the minimum and maximum values for the y-axis.

2. Can I plot the inverse function of a more complex expression in Mathematica?

Yes, you can plot the inverse function of any expression in Mathematica. Simply replace x[y] with your desired expression, and specify the appropriate range for the y-axis.

3. How do I change the style of the inverse plot in Mathematica?

You can change the style of the inverse plot by using the options available in the InversePlot function. Some common options include PlotStyle to change the color and style of the plot, AxesLabel to add labels to the axes, and ImageSize to adjust the size of the plot.

4. Can I add multiple inverse plots to the same graph in Mathematica?

Yes, you can add multiple inverse plots to the same graph by using the Show function in Mathematica. Simply plot each inverse function separately using InversePlot, and then use Show to combine them into one graph.

5. How do I find the inverse function of x[y] in Mathematica?

To find the inverse function of x[y] in Mathematica, you can use the InverseFunction function. This function takes the form of InverseFunction[x[y]], where x[y] is the original function. It will return the inverse function, which you can then use in InversePlot or other functions.