1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help on matrix - Probabilities

1. Mar 6, 2007 #1
    Hello all,

I am deparing me with a problem or a doubt about the calculation of probabilities in one matrix.

I have 3 events (A,B,C)

Percentage of probability of each event: A - 2.3% B - 10% C - 15%

Conditions:
    - A imposes B
    - A imposes C

My Matrix:
    A B C
    0 0 0
    0 0 1
    0 1 0
    0 1 1
    1 1 1

Goal: The sum of all lines of matrix must be 100%, the sum of lines of each event must be equal to the percentage of probability given before the matrix generation.

Right now I am changing the percentage of each impose event (A) and I left the imposed event (B,C) with the original percentage.
    Thus, I have this changed percentages:

P(A) = P(A|(BxC)) = P(A) / P(B)*P(C) = 1.53 (153%) or could consider 100%
    P(B) = P(B) = 0.1 (10%)
    P(C) = P(C) = 0.15 (15%)

If I made the calculations with this values, I will obtain 100% for all lines and for all events, but i will obtain negative values because the probability of (A) its bigger than 100%, so (~A)<0.
    If i consider 100% instead of 153% I will obtain wrong values for (A) event.

The point is, I am not sure if it is possible to calculate this situation obtaining positive and correct values and I would like to know if anybody have some kind of help or some tips that can help me.

Thank you, and Best Regards.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted