How Do I Solve This Moment Problem in My Assignment?

• Thread starter Rammunition
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moments
In summary, the conversation discusses a student's struggle with an assignment on moments. The student shares their attempt at solving the problem and requests help in understanding the correct solution. The expert explains the correct calculation for the sum of moments and offers to help the student further if needed.
Rammunition
Hello I'm new :)
I'm stuck on my assignment on moments.

Homework Statement

Now i have attached a copy of my assignment paper which I scanned. Here is the link

scan00021.jpg

Now the horizontal and verticle forces sum is correct. But when I try to do the sum of moments I get 50.831 Kn when the answer should be 58.513 Kn. My lecturere gave me the answers but he said you have to show your working out so that you get it yourself.

Homework Equations

Triganometry, moments.

The Attempt at a Solution

see given link.

Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
This link shows the drawing better

scan0002-1.jpg

I have to determine the magnitude, direction and sense of the resultant and equilibrant forces acting on the component show in figur 1 (link above) and the perpendicular distance from their line of action from point z. But I am stuck on getting the total sum of forces.

If you want me to go through the whole problem let me know..

But the problem with your solution is with Force B.
Under your moment column for this force you have 5.65 x 0 = 0. This is incorrect.

The VERTICAL moment of force B IS ZERO! Since the hozitonal distance from Fb to the pivot is 0.

The HORIZTONAL moment would be 5.65 x (Vertical Distance from Pivot which is 3) , Giving you a horizontal moment of 16.97.

Add these all together and you have (16.97 + 30.03) + (6 + 5.472) = 58.4

I have a hard time reading your table, and I've never used that method, but if you don't understand my solution I'll try it your way.

1. What is the definition of a moment in physics?

A moment in physics refers to the turning effect produced by a force around a particular point or axis. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force.

2. How is a moment different from a torque?

Both moment and torque refer to the rotational effects of a force. However, torque specifically refers to the rotational force applied to an object, while moment can refer to any type of rotational effect, including both torque and bending moments.

3. What is the formula for calculating a moment?

The formula for calculating a moment is M = F x d, where M is the moment, F is the force applied, and d is the perpendicular distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force.

4. What are some real-world examples of moments?

Some real-world examples of moments include opening a door, using a wrench to turn a bolt, and rotating a steering wheel to turn a car. In each of these scenarios, a force is applied at a distance from a point of rotation, resulting in a moment.

5. How do moments affect the stability of an object?

Moments can affect the stability of an object by causing it to rotate or tip over. An object is stable when the total sum of clockwise moments is equal to the total sum of counterclockwise moments. If there is an imbalance, the object will experience a net turning effect and may become unstable.