Help on motion and pressure needed

In summary: So plugging in gives us P = (1063 kg/m^3) (9.81 m/s^2) (5294m) = 37,425.6L In summary, a train accelerates from rest at a constant rate and reaches a velocity of 153 kmh in a distance of 2.29 km. The acceleration and time taken can be calculated using the kinematic equation.
jhaywood
1. A train accelerates from rest at a constant rate and reaches a velocity of 153 kmh in a distance of 2.29 km. Calculate the acceleration and time taken.
If the breaks are then applied and produce a constant deceleration bringing the train to rest in a time of 140s, calculate the rate of deceleration

2. A vertical cylindrical chemical process tank has a diameter of 3m. the tank has a capacity when full, of 51980 litres. if the tank is filled to 72% of its maximum capacity with a mixture of liquids with a combined density of 1063 kg/m3 determine the pressure at the base of the tank

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. Their are people here much smarter and more learned that I, and in order to receive help it is expected that the poster show some work on his/her questions.

I'll get you started on the first one...

Use this nice kinematic equation to solve for "a".

[tex]v_{f}^2 = v_{i}^2 + 2ad[/tex]

You know everything but "a".

Jameson

some tip for the second q:
72% of capacity should also mean 72% of the height. You have the diameter and capacity(volume) of the cylinder therefore you can find its height.
Plug in pressure = hpg

72% full it is 37,425.6 litres
height is (51980 / 1000) / 7.1 = 7.3
(i'm not sure if i am doing this right)
i know that pressure= force/area and that density = mass/volume i just don't know how to apply it to the problem

v2= u2+ 2ad
v2-u2=2ad
v2-u2/2 = ad
v2-u2/2d= a? (i don't think that's correct I am not sure)

pressure = force/area --- 1
force in this case is the weight of the volume of liquid which is
force(weight of liquid) = mass * g
= density of liquid * volume * g
= density of liquid * area * height of liquid * g --- 2
sub 2 into 1 :
pressure = (density of liquid * area * height of water * g) / area
= density of liquid * height of liquid * g
= p*h*g (simplified - this equation can be used for finding pressure in liquid at different height)

jhaywood said:
v2= u2+ 2ad
v2-u2=2ad
v2-u2/2 = ad
v2-u2/2d= a? (i don't think that's correct I am not sure)
no, it should be
v2-u2=2ad
(v2-u2)/2 = ad
(v2-u2)/2d= a?

jhaywood said:
1. A train accelerates from rest at a constant rate and reaches a velocity of 153 kmh in a distance of 2.29 km. Calculate the acceleration and time taken.
If the breaks are then applied and produce a constant deceleration bringing the train to rest in a time of 140s, calculate the rate of deceleration

2. A vertical cylindrical chemical process tank has a diameter of 3m. the tank has a capacity when full, of 51980 litres. if the tank is filled to 72% of its maximum capacity with a mixture of liquids with a combined density of 1063 kg/m3 determine the pressure at the base of the tank

For qn1(a) To make this simpler, you can actually draw a velocity time graph to get u'r time knowing the area under the graph is the distance travelled.. After finding the time, u can use the formula [tex] a = v - u / t [/tex] to get acceleration.

For the 2nd part to qn 1, u can find the deceleration by using the same formula in a

For qn 2, first, juz know that [tex] P = pgh [/tex] .. Where the density is =1063[tex] Kg/m^3 [/tex], g =9.81[tex] m/s^2 [/tex] and the height 5294m

Last edited:

1. What is motion?

Motion is the movement of an object from one place to another. It can be described in terms of speed, direction, and acceleration.

2. How is motion measured?

Motion is typically measured using units of distance and time, such as meters per second or miles per hour. Other factors that may be measured include displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

3. What are the different types of motion?

The different types of motion include linear motion (movement in a straight line), circular motion (movement around a fixed point), and rotational motion (movement around an axis).

4. What is pressure?

Pressure is the force applied to a surface per unit area. It is typically measured in units of Pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

5. How is pressure related to motion?

Pressure and motion are related through the laws of motion and the study of fluid dynamics. For example, the movement of fluids, such as air or water, can create pressure differentials that can affect the motion of objects within them.