1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Help on PhD application deadline

1. Oct 4, 2012 #1
    Hi all. I have a question about PhD application.
    I'm from Italy but I'd like to take a PhD abroad. In my country the physics degree is divided in 3 years + 2 years. At the end of the whole 5 years course we get a degree equivalent to a Master degree. My question is:

I was looking, for example, to MIT admission requirements. The deadline for the application is 15th of December 2012 in order to start the PhD in September/October 2013. The point is that I'm going to take my final degree in September 2013 (or, if I'm lucky, in July 2013). Can I apply for the PhD beginning in 2013 or do I have to wait one year?? In other words, will they consider my application if I haven't taken my final degree yet?

Thank you all

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2012 #2
    Contact someone in the department who handles this type of situation.

4. Oct 4, 2012 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Usually the way it works is that you apply in the year prior to that which you finish your undergrad work for fall admissions. For example, students who are in the final year of their undergraduate program right now and who are interested in starting a PhD program in the fall of 2013, would be starting the application process right around now (depending on when the deadlines are).

You don't usually need to have been awarded the undergraduate degree for begin a PhD program. What you'll get is a conditional offer of admission which gives you some leway between finishing courses and convocating so that you don't have to waste a year.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook