1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help on precalculus hw question

1. Aug 29, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    limit as x approaches 2 of [ (x^2-cx+d)/(x^2-4) ] = 3. What is the value of c and d?

2. Relevant equations
    Limits

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried cross multiplying to get (x^2 - cx + d) = 3x^2 - 12, and I was thinking of moving combining like terms and maybe factoring but I can't ever seem to get the right answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The denominator factors into (x - 2)(x + 2). If you assume that the numerator also has a factor of either x + 2 or x - 2, what would the other factor have to be to result in a limit of 3? An educated guess or two will be helpful.

4. Aug 29, 2016 #3
    @Mark44
    Just for curiosity, can we apply L' hospital's rule here, assuming the numerator to be 0 when x→2 ?

5. Aug 29, 2016 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I didn't think of doing that, but it seems to work. That technique wouldn't be available in a precalculus setting, which is what I assumed by where you the OP posted the question.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  6. Aug 29, 2016 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

(@Molar isn't OP.)

7. Aug 29, 2016 #6
    I tried that but I want to know how to solve it algebraically.

8. Aug 29, 2016 #7

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think that's possible.

In the limit, the denominator ##x^2 - 4## goes to 0 as x → 2.

Cross multiplying means that you are multiplying the RHS by zero as well, leaving ##x^2 - cx + d = 0##, for which there can be an infinite number o' solutions.

Evaluating limit expressions sometimes takes subtlety, where applying algebra will fail or mislead you.

9. Aug 29, 2016 #8
    Thanks! I ended up getting c = 8 and d = -20

10. Aug 29, 2016 #9
    Thanks for your help!

11. Aug 29, 2016 #10

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I get a different sign for one of those.

12. Aug 30, 2016 #11

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is easiest to substitute ##x = 2 + h## in both the numerator and denominator. Your ratio must make sense as ##h \to 0##, and the limit must = 3. That gives you two conditions involving the two parameters ##c, d##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted