1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help on prooving a summation formula

1. Nov 3, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need some advice on prooving this formula (f is an arbitrary function):

[itex]\sum^{N}_{t=1}[/itex][itex]\sum^{N}_{s=1}[/itex]f(t-s)=[itex]\sum^{N-1}_{τ=-Ν+1}[/itex](N-|τ|)f(τ)

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What have you done so far? Have you tried small examples, like N = 2 or N = 3?

RGV

4. Nov 3, 2011 #3
    Well its easy to see that it works with examples like N=2 or N=3. For example for N=2 the value of both sides is f(1)+f(-1)+2f(0). Same for N=3. Im thinking that maybe I should do a variables change in the first double sums, to end up to a more common summation formula, but Im kinda stuck.

EDIT: We can consider that s and t are integers, or that the arbitrary f() function represents a discrete time signal.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  5. Nov 3, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Looks to me like there is a change of index at work there. Since the left side of the equation involves f(t- s) and the other side f(τ), you should immediately think of τ= t- s.

6. Nov 6, 2011 #5
    could you please help on how the limits of the left side sums would be in that case (τ=t-s)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook