1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help on question,

1. Apr 28, 2005 #1
    Help on question, plzzzzzzz

Hi, iv been struggling with this question for some time now, so i thought if some1 can help on the follwoing quiestion:

Q) A lightly damped system vibrates with a period of 15.0s. In half a minute its amplitude decreases from 50cm to 5.00mm. What would be the period if the damping force were removed?

Thank you if u answer this question. :::ADY::: :smile: :smile: :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It takes a bit of work to find their definition of [itex]\omega_0[/itex] here, but this explains the frequency dependence on the damping term of an oscillator. [itex]\omega_0[/itex] is the frequency when no damping is present.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/oscda.html

4. Apr 30, 2005 #3
    There is a fuction describing this.
    As far as I can remember,it is A=A(max)*e^(-wt)*cos(wt+.....)
    Since you know that "In half a minute its amplitude decreases from 50cm to 5.00mm." you can find how much is that "w".But I am not very sure,may I can tell you the accurate one if you contact me at wangkehandsome@hotmail.com later.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?