1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help on relativity

1. Oct 2, 2005 #1
    For a particle moving in the xy plane of S, show that the y' component of the acceleration is given by ay'=ay/?^2(1-uxv/c^2)+axuxv/c^2/?^2(1-uxv/c^2)^3

I don't know if this means that ths S and S' xy plane aren't parrellel? If so, how do you get the angle, if not how come there are two terms?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, the xy plane is exactly the same in S and S'. However, if the particle is not moving parallel to the x or y axis, the axes in that plane can be rotated (is that what you meant by "not parallel"?). By the way, there's a "?" showing up in you formulas on my reader. I presume that is some special character that is not being read correctly. Could you tell us what it is?

4. Oct 3, 2005 #3
    The ? are gamma, and actually I know how to get the answer now, but could you check for me to see if the answer is correct? I get ay'=ay/?^2(1-uxv/c^2)^2+axuxv/c^2/?^2(1-uxv/c^2)^3

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?