How Does Proving A Matrix Is Row Equivalent to the Identity Matrix Work?

In summary, A is row equivalent to I if and only if the determinant of A, b - cd, is not equal to 0. This can be proven by reducing A to its reduced row echelon form, which will be the identity matrix if and only if the determinant is not 0. If the determinant is 0, then the reduced row echelon form of A will not be the identity matrix.
Anisotropic Galaxy
Let A and I be as follows.

A = [1 d]
[c b]
I=[1 0]
[0 1]

Prove that if b - cd != 0, then A is row equivalent to I

I'm CLUELESS as to WHERE TO START. Please help me

I tried simplifying to the matrix

[1 d]
[0 b - cd]

And have no clue what to do next.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the criteria for row equivalent matrices? How would you perform the allowable operations to get to I?

To get [itex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}1 & 0\\0 & 1\end{array}\right)[/itex]
you will need a 1 in place of that b-cd. What row operation will give you that?

It has been a while since I took linear algebra so I forget the terms for these things, but I know what you're getting at. If A is row equivalent to I, that means that elementary row operations can reduce it to such. That can only be done if the determinant is not zero. (Then we say A is either singular or not singular, don’t remember which) The determinant of A is b - cd. So in a sense, you're done, unless you actually need to prove what I just said.

In that case, argue by contradiction. Show that if b - cd = 0, The reduced row echelon form of A is not the identity matrix.

Hope that helps.

What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces.

What is a simple linear algebra problem?

A simple linear algebra problem involves solving for unknown variables in a system of linear equations, typically with two or three variables.

What are the basic steps to solve a simple linear algebra problem?

The basic steps to solve a simple linear algebra problem are: 1) write out the system of linear equations, 2) rearrange the equations to isolate one variable, 3) substitute the isolated variable into another equation to eliminate it, 4) solve for the remaining variables, and 5) check the solution by plugging it into all of the original equations.

What are some common real-life applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. Some common real-life applications include optimizing financial portfolios, creating computer graphics, and analyzing data in scientific research.

What resources are available for further help with simple linear algebra problems?

There are many resources available for help with simple linear algebra problems, including textbooks, online tutorials, and tutoring services. Additionally, many universities offer free math help centers or tutoring services for students.