Help on some electric potential energy questions

In summary, the conversation involved requests for help on electric potential energy questions, specifically regarding the calculation of electron speed in a television picture tube, potential difference between two points, and the minimum horsepower rating for an electric car. The conversation also clarified the use of equations for electric potential and gravitational potential.
thursdaytbs
Hey - just asking for some help on some electric potential energy questions.
(1) In a television picture tube, electrons strike the screen after being accelerated from rest through a potential difference of 25,000V. The speeds of electrons are quite large, and for accurate calculations of the speeds, the effects of special relativity must be taken into account. Ignoring such effects, find the electron speed just before the electron strikes the screen.

First I used the equation 1/2mv^2 = q(Va-Vb)
so v = sqrt (((2)(25000)(q)) / m )

and Va-Vb = W / q, so q = W/(Va-Vb)
but then I'm stuck and don't know where to go from there since the mass and the charge (q) isnt' given.

(2) A particle with a charge of -1.5 microColoumbs and a mass of 2.5 x 10^-6kg is released from rest at point A and acclerates toward point B, arriving there with a speed of 42m/s. (a) What is the potential difference Vb - Va between A and B? (b) Which point is at the higher potential? Give your reasoning.

So I said that mgh(of a) = 1/2mv^2 (of b)
so (9.8)h = 1/2(42^2), h = 90. That means that the potential difference between A and B is 90?, and point A is at a higher potential since the charge/mass flows TO B FROM A?

(3) An electric car accelerates for 8.0s by drawing energy from its 320-V battery pack. During this time, 1300 C of charge pass through the battery pack. Find the minimum horsepower rating of the car.

This one I'm completely lost. Leme think, so Va-Vb = 320V = W/q (and q = 1300).

So 320V = W / 1300, W = 416,000J? and that just needs to be converted into horsepower?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. you need the mass and charge of an electron, check it online or your textbook...
2. it didn't say the particle is accelarate under the effect of gravity, mgh is not working in this case, instead you need E=qV=1/2mv^2 where V is your unknown
3. yes, how many joles is a horsepower?

For number 2, I thought it was two situations, one with a charge and another with a mass?

When you say qV = 1/2mv^2, that's for the charge - what would the mass equal to?

I'm a bit confused, could you explain a little bit more please?

(The other two problems I figured out with your hints, thanks for the help.)

Can anyone help me with number two please? Any other suggestions?

Potential difference between the block's A and B position is 90 correct?
since 1/2mv^2 = mgh
becomes 1/2v^2 = gh
v = 42, g = 9.8, that solves for h = 90. so potential difference = 90?

Can anyone tell me if that's correct and how the charge differs?

in number 2, the question is asking you a charged particle q with mass m under the influence of ELECTRIC POTENTIAL, not GRAVITITIONAL POTENTIAL.

the formulas of electric potential is qV, and the formulas of gravititional potential is mgh, so replace your mgh by qV, and you will get the answer

thursdaytbs said:
For number 2, I thought it was two situations, one with a charge and another with a mass?

When you say qV = 1/2mv^2, that's for the charge - what would the mass equal to?

I'm a bit confused, could you explain a little bit more please?

(The other two problems I figured out with your hints, thanks for the help.)

It's the same particle for which mass and charge are given. Just plug them in and solve.

The question says nothing about the particle falling from a height. As vincentchan said, the acceleration is only due to electric field... no gravitational field so you don't need mgh.

Last edited:

1. What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is a form of potential energy that is associated with the interaction of electric charges.

2. How is electric potential energy calculated?

Electric potential energy is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the electric charge by the electric potential difference between two points in an electric field. The formula for electric potential energy is U = qV, where U is the electric potential energy, q is the charge, and V is the electric potential.

3. What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is the amount of potential energy per unit charge at a particular point in an electric field. It is a property of the electric field itself, while electric potential energy is a property of an object in the electric field. Electric potential is measured in volts (V) and electric potential energy is measured in joules (J).

4. How does distance affect electric potential energy?

According to the inverse square law, the electric potential energy between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two charged objects increases, the electric potential energy between them decreases.

5. Can electric potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, electric potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy. For example, when an object with electric potential energy moves through an electric field, it can gain kinetic energy. Electric potential energy can also be converted into other forms of energy through processes like electric current and electric discharge.