Help on Static Friction - Physics 11

In summary, a student is seeking help with a physics problem involving static and sliding friction coefficients. They are struggling to understand the concept and are looking for an explanation. They also mention a thread they have read and ask for any additional clarification.
literati
First time posting here. . .
Okay, usually I'm pretty good figuring these type of questions out, but the textbook just doesn't help(no e.g.'s or explanations) and the teacher didn't talk at all about static friction, so, if anyone could give me a hand, I'd be very grateful.
Question:
A sled of mass 50 kg is pulled along snow-covered, flat ground. The static friction coefficient is 0.30 and the sliding friction coefficient is 0.10
b)What force will be needed to start the sled moving?

(Calculated weight is 490N)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not looking for instant answers, I really need this explained. I absolutely hate having only partial knowledge of a concept...it always messes you up in the end.

Okay...I THINK I have it. For some reason my brain is not grasping this concept as readily as it should. Perhaps I just need to pound it in a little more. :) Thanks for your help!

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is a type of force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it. It is a result of the interlocking of microscopic bumps and imperfections on the surfaces of two objects in contact.

2. How is static friction different from kinetic friction?

Static friction only occurs when an object is at rest, while kinetic friction occurs when an object is in motion. Additionally, the amount of force required to overcome static friction is usually greater than the amount of force required to overcome kinetic friction.

3. What factors affect the amount of static friction?

The amount of static friction depends on the types of surfaces in contact, the normal force (perpendicular force) between the surfaces, and any external forces acting on the object. Rougher surfaces, heavier objects, and higher external forces will result in a greater static friction force.

4. How is the coefficient of static friction calculated?

The coefficient of static friction is calculated by dividing the maximum force required to overcome static friction by the normal force between the surfaces. This value is unique for each combination of surfaces and is a measure of the roughness or smoothness of the surfaces in contact.

5. How can static friction be reduced?

Static friction can be reduced by making the surfaces smoother, decreasing the normal force between the surfaces, or by using a lubricant between the surfaces. Additionally, increasing the external force acting on the object can also reduce the amount of static friction.