Help Needed With Stress Calculations for Steel & Brass Rods

In summary: However, if you can find a equation that relates stress and strain in terms of magnitude, you will be in good shape.
donkey131
I'm having problem knowing how to work out this question, can anyone point me in the correct direction.

Question
14mm diameter steel rod carries a load of 3.08kN in tension. calculate the stress.?

I ended up with this:
Stress = Force/Area.
Stress = 3.08/154 = Answer = 0.02N/mm²

if the rod is 2.5m long and the modulus of elasticity is 200GN/m2
how much will it extend?

so far i have know idea of the formula or how to work this out?
can anyone help please

I also have one other question related to stress that is

A brass rod measures 10mm in dia, and 150mm length. The rod extends 0.3mm when subjected to a load. given that brass E=85GN/m2
Calculate the stress in the material and the magnitude of the load:
if you could help with the formula that would be a big help.
I'm not able to find any thing on the net and the books i got from the library are over the top in calculations
please help
many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi donkey131, welcome to PF. For a rod undergoing axial loading, stress [tex]\sigma[/itex] and strain [tex]\epsilon[/itex] are related by the equation [tex]\sigma=E\epsilon[/itex].

Make sure to check your units in your calculations.

Another formula that you will need is [tex]\epsilon[/tex]= [l(final)-l(initial)]/l(initial)

so how do i now find the Magnitude.

not sure about this as I am trying to teach my self, it an NVQ course. NOt good teaching your self something you don't know.

Calculate the stress in the material and the magnitude.
10mm = Diameter steel rod
?? = Area of the rod
3.08kN = Tension
?? = Stress
?? = Strain
150mm = Length
0.3mm = Extends
85 GN/m² = Elasticity

Area:
Area = pi x radus² There for: Area = Pi (3.142) x 2.5² (6.25) = 19.637mm² (19.64)

Strain:
Strain = extension (change in Length)/Original Length
Strain = 0.3/150 = 0.002

There for we now can find the Stress:
Stress = Strain x Elasticity
Stress = 0.002 x 85 =0.17N/m²

Answer = 0.17N/m²

so how do i find Magnitude:?

The magnitude is just the absolute value of the number. If the stress is -5 N/m², for example, we describe it as a compressive stress with a magnitude of 5 N/m².

Again, recheck the units in your calculations - I see several errors.

1. What are stress calculations and why are they important for steel and brass rods?

Stress calculations involve determining the amount of force or pressure that a material can withstand before it deforms or breaks. This is important for steel and brass rods because it helps engineers and designers determine the appropriate size and shape for the rods to ensure they can support the intended load without failing.

2. What factors are involved in stress calculations for steel and brass rods?

There are several factors that need to be considered in stress calculations for steel and brass rods, including the material properties (such as yield strength and modulus of elasticity), the dimensions and geometry of the rod, and the applied load or force. Other factors such as temperature and corrosion may also need to be taken into account.

3. How do I calculate the stress on a steel or brass rod?

The stress on a steel or brass rod can be calculated using the formula: stress = force/area. This means dividing the applied force by the cross-sectional area of the rod. It is important to use consistent units of measurement (such as Newtons for force and square meters for area) in order to get an accurate result.

4. What are some common stress calculations used for steel and brass rods?

Some common stress calculations for steel and brass rods include tensile stress, compressive stress, shear stress, and bending stress. These calculations are used to determine different types of stress that a rod may experience and help engineers choose the appropriate material and design for a specific application.

5. How can I ensure accurate stress calculations for steel and brass rods?

To ensure accurate stress calculations for steel and brass rods, it is important to use reliable and up-to-date material properties, precise measurements of dimensions and geometry, and appropriate units of measurement. It is also important to consider any potential external factors (such as temperature or corrosion) that may affect the stress on the rods.