Calculating Force Applied to a Front Tooth Using Elastic Cord Tension

• Thread starter shizfest
  • Start date
In summary, the purpose of the arrangement shown in the drawing is to apply a force to the front tooth using an elastic cord attached to two back teeth. If the tension in the cord is 1.6 N, the magnitude and direction of the force applied to the front tooth can be calculated using the formula 2(-T(cosΘ)), where T is the tension and Θ is the angle given in the problem.
shizfest

Homework Statement

The drawing below shows an elastic cord attached to two back teeth and stretched across a front tooth. The purpose of this arrangement is to apply a force to the front tooth. (The figure has been simplified by running the cord straight from the front tooth to the back teeth.) If the tension in the cord is 1.6 N, what are the magnitude and direction of the force applied to the front tooth?

fig-047.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing 1.6cos33 = magnitude. Apparantly this is wrong. If anyone can give me a hint or push me in the right direction I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should account for the tension of both sides of the string since the tension everywhere is the same.

So would I try 2(1.6cos33) = magnitude ?

Thanks again for any help! Not giving up til I found the correct solution!

T=1.6
Θ=33

If the tension in the cord is 1.6N I assume that means on both sides of the tooth.

What I would try is first to draw a force diagram. I did this and then added up all of the forces that made an impact in the Y-direction (up-down). I came up with..

Sum of Y-Forces == -T(cos(Θ))-T(cos(Θ))

Leading me to believe the method may be..

2(-T(cos(Θ))

which would mean you've already got it, I hope so, heh~

Last edited:
Thanks for the input! To me that seems to be the only explainable way to do the problem.

1. What is tension in a force problem?

Tension is a force that is applied to an object in order to stretch or pull it. In physics, it is typically represented by the symbol "T" and is measured in Newtons (N).

2. How is tension calculated in a force problem?

Tension can be calculated using the formula T = F x sinθ, where T is the tension force, F is the applied force, and θ is the angle between the direction of the applied force and the direction of the object.

3. What is the difference between tension and compression?

Tension is a force that pulls or stretches an object, while compression is a force that pushes or squeezes an object. Tension and compression are opposite forces that can act on the same object.

4. How does tension affect the stability of a structure?

Tension can either increase or decrease the stability of a structure, depending on how it is applied. In some cases, tension can cause a structure to collapse, while in others it can help distribute the weight and make the structure more stable.

5. What are some real-world examples of tension in force problems?

Some common examples of tension in force problems include a rope being pulled from both ends, a suspension bridge, and a rubber band being stretched. Tension can also be seen in everyday objects such as clotheslines, bungee cords, and guitar strings.