1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help on vectors

1. Aug 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    :confused:
    The quantities that describe location or its change are position, distance, and displacement. Which are vectors?

A.distance
    B.none of these
    C.displacement
    D.position

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

What are your thoughts on what vectors would be?

4. Aug 21, 2008 #3
    Thanks. You see, that is precisely what I am confused about....If anyone can kind of help me understand what vectors are, that would be awesome...I have a test coming up soon, so :smile: I'm in Pre-AP Physics, and we just started with this stuff, and we are required to be enrolled in Adv Pre-Calc/Trig(hope that helps on how much I know).

5. Aug 21, 2008 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

OK. Then let me suggest this treatment at the link below as a place to start.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_(spatial)

Keeping in mind that a vector associates both a direction and a magnitude, then which of the terms in your question might contain both of those properties?

6. Aug 21, 2008 #5
    alright, thanks for the article. So it would be displacement and position? Still trying to get the hang of this :smile:

7. Aug 21, 2008 #6

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Can you take a moment to describe why you think both of those embody the 2 properties of direction and magnitude?

8. Aug 21, 2008 #7
    Well, displacement is a vector, and it's the distance between the start and the finish position of a path, and position is also part of a vector. :eek: uh.....I hope this is somewhat there? haha.

9. Aug 21, 2008 #8

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Part?

If you find a bow, have you found a bow and arrow or just a bow?

10. Aug 21, 2008 #9

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

That is correct I forgot to mention. The displacement embodies both a direction of displacement AND a magnitude.

If you displace yourself 1 mile to the Northwest, that can be expressed as a vector. A magnitude and a direction. But for the purposes of the question the position of your house for instance is not a vector unless it gets moved.

11. Aug 21, 2008 #10
    ok. I understand. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?