Position, Distance & Displacement: Which are Vectors?

In summary, displacement is a vector that has a direction and magnitude, while position is a vector that has a direction and a magnitude.
golden_acorn

Homework Statement

:confused:
The quantities that describe location or its change are position, distance, and displacement. Which are vectors?

A.distance
B.none of these
C.displacement
D.position

Physics news on Phys.org
golden_acorn said:

Homework Statement

:confused:
The quantities that describe location or its change are position, distance, and displacement. Which are vectors?

A.distance
B.none of these
C.displacement
D.position

Welcome to PF.

What are your thoughts on what vectors would be?

Thanks. You see, that is precisely what I am confused about...If anyone can kind of help me understand what vectors are, that would be awesome...I have a test coming up soon, so :smile: I'm in Pre-AP Physics, and we just started with this stuff, and we are required to be enrolled in Adv Pre-Calc/Trig(hope that helps on how much I know).

golden_acorn said:
Thanks. You see, that is precisely what I am confused about...If anyone can kind of help me understand what vectors are, that would be awesome...I have a test coming up soon, so :smile: I'm in Pre-AP Physics, and we just started with this stuff, and we are required to be enrolled in Adv Pre-Calc/Trig(hope that helps on how much I know).

OK. Then let me suggest this treatment at the link below as a place to start.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_(spatial )

Keeping in mind that a vector associates both a direction and a magnitude, then which of the terms in your question might contain both of those properties?

Last edited by a moderator:
alright, thanks for the article. So it would be displacement and position? Still trying to get the hang of this :smile:

golden_acorn said:
alright, thanks for the article. So it would be displacement and position? Still trying to get the hang of this :smile:

Can you take a moment to describe why you think both of those embody the 2 properties of direction and magnitude?

Well, displacement is a vector, and it's the distance between the start and the finish position of a path, and position is also part of a vector. :eek: uh...I hope this is somewhat there? haha.

golden_acorn said:
... and position is also part of a vector.

Part?

If you find a bow, have you found a bow and arrow or just a bow?

golden_acorn said:
Well, displacement is a vector, and it's the distance between the start and the finish position of a path,...

That is correct I forgot to mention. The displacement embodies both a direction of displacement AND a magnitude.

If you displace yourself 1 mile to the Northwest, that can be expressed as a vector. A magnitude and a direction. But for the purposes of the question the position of your house for instance is not a vector unless it gets moved.

ok. I understand. Thank you!

What is position?

Position refers to the location of an object in space. It is usually described using a coordinate system such as Cartesian coordinates or polar coordinates.

What is distance?

Distance is the measurement of how far an object has traveled. It is a scalar quantity and is measured in units such as meters or kilometers.

What is displacement?

Displacement is the change in position of an object. It is a vector quantity and is measured in units such as meters or kilometers. Displacement takes into account both the distance an object has traveled and its direction.

What is the difference between distance and displacement?

The main difference between distance and displacement is that distance is a scalar quantity, while displacement is a vector quantity. Distance only considers the magnitude of the movement, while displacement takes into account the distance and direction of the movement.

How are position, distance, and displacement related?

Position is the initial location of an object, distance is the total amount of movement, and displacement is the change in position. They are all related in that they describe the location and movement of an object, but they are different quantities that are measured in different ways.