Solving the Cylinder Volume Problem

In summary, to maintain the same volume after increasing the height of a soup can by 30%, the radius must be decreased by approximately 23%. The formula for the volume of a cylinder was used to solve this problem.
Paradiselovek
please help me thank you so much ^^(I need help quick before the due date thanks)

Here the problem:

A soup company decides to increase the height of its can by 30% but to maintain their present volume. To the nearest percent, how much must the radius of the can be decreased to hold the volume constant.

(there a picture of the can which is a plain cyclinder)

I try working backward for the equation to find the volume of a cyclinder, but i really don't know if I got that right. please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the formula for the volume of a cylinder? Let's use h for the original height and r for the original radius of the can, and h* and r* for the new height and radius. The basic set up is

old volume = new volume

where h* = 1.3 h. Just plug this into the equation and solve for r*. Your answer will depend on r, of course.

Then find the percentage change: (r* - r)/r . The r's will cancel out at this step.

1. How do you calculate the volume of a cylinder?

The formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder is V = πr²h, where V is the volume, π is the mathematical constant pi, r is the radius, and h is the height of the cylinder.

2. What are the units for measuring cylinder volume?

The units for measuring cylinder volume are cubic units, such as cubic meters (m³) or cubic centimeters (cm³).

3. Can you find the volume of a cylinder if only one measurement is given?

No, you need at least two measurements (radius and height) to calculate the volume of a cylinder using the formula V = πr²h.

4. How do you solve for the radius or height of a cylinder if the volume is known?

To solve for the radius, you can rearrange the formula V = πr²h to r = √(V/πh). To solve for the height, you can rearrange the formula to h = V/(πr²).

5. Can the volume of a cylinder be negative?

No, the volume of a cylinder cannot be negative. It is a measure of the amount of space inside the cylinder and must always be a positive value.