Deriving Formulas for Work/Energy Problems

• Thread starter CL1349
  • Start date
In summary, a 7 m/s initial speed down an incline resulted in an ice cube reaching a height of 6.5 meters above the floor before falling back down, with the use of work and energy equations.
CL1349

Homework Statement

An ice cube is given a push at the top of an incline giving it an initial speed of 7 m/s down the incline. At the bottom of the incline the ice cube is deflected vertically upward as shown in the accompanying diagram. Ignoring friction and air resistance, how high H does the ice cube go above the floor before falling back down?

Note: Solve using work/energy considerations

The problem with a graph of it is attached.

Homework Equations

W = Ef - Ei

Ef = Ei

The Attempt at a Solution

I set the work equal to zero, and set the initial energy equal to the final energy. I worked the equation around and came up with

mgh = 1/2 mv^2 + mgh

mg(4m) = 1/2 m (Vf) ^2 + mg( 0 m)

I solved for final velocity with Vf = square root( 2gh), square root (2 * 9.8 m/s2 * 4 m)

I got 8.85 m/s for final velocity. I don't know if this is right or not. But how can I rearrange the work/energy theorem to find the H?

Attachments

• physicsproblem.doc
    27.5 KB · Views: 203
Physics news on Phys.org
You're making it too difficult. The sum of the initial potential energy (mgh) and the initial kinetic energy (mv^2) is equal to the final potential energy (mgH) when the ice cube reaches its highest point. (Keep in mind that the ice cube's speed and kinetic energy are zero at that point.) You never have to worry about the ice cube's speed after it's released.

Thanks for the help obafgkmrns. You really made me see how I can easily get confused on such a simple thing.

It's hard for me to figure out how to analyze problems like this and derive the right formulas cause I'm not that great at physics. And it doesn't help that my professor is a bit looney.

So, here's my attempt at the solution.

Initial PE + KE = Final PE + KE

the initial KE = 1/2 mv^2.

1/2 * m * (7 m/s) ^2

= 24.5 m

The initial PE = mgh

m * 9.8 * 4 m

= 39.2 m

63.7 m = mgh + 1/2 mv^2 , v = 0

h = 63.7m/mg

h = 63.7/9.8

h = 6.5 meters

1. What is the work-energy theorem?

The work-energy theorem states that the net work done on an object is equal to its change in kinetic energy. This means that the work done on an object is directly proportional to the change in its velocity.

2. How do I calculate work?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance it moves in the direction of that force. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What is the relationship between work and energy?

Work and energy are closely related, as work is the transfer of energy from one form to another. When work is done on an object, energy is transferred to the object, causing it to move or change in some way.

4. How do I use the work-energy theorem to solve problems?

To use the work-energy theorem to solve problems, first determine the initial and final energy states of the object. Then, calculate the work done on the object and equate it to the change in energy. Finally, use algebra to solve for the unknown variable.

5. What are some real-world applications of work and energy?

The concepts of work and energy are used in various fields, including engineering, physics, and mechanics. Some real-world applications include understanding the mechanics of machines, designing efficient structures, and calculating the energy requirements for various processes such as transportation or electricity production.