Are All One-Dimensional Vector Fields Gradient Systems?

In summary, the conversation discusses exercise 7.2.4 in the book "Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos" by Steven H. Strogatz, in which the task is to show that all vector fields on the line are gradient systems. The definitions of gradient system and vector field on the line are reviewed, and the question is asked whether it is always possible to find a function V(x) such that the gradient is equal to the given vector field. The conversation ends with the realization that the system being considered is 2D, and there may be other factors that have not been considered.
xibeisiber
Show that all vector fields on the line are gradient systems.

This is exercise 7.2.4 in the book "Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos" by Steven H.Strogatz

Thanks very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Re-read the definitions Strogatz gives of "gradient system" and "vector field", and then answer the following:

What's a gradient system on the line?

What's a vector field on the line?

If you can answer those questions, then the proof should be straightforward.

pasmith said:
Re-read the definitions Strogatz gives of "gradient system" and "vector field", and then answer the following:

What's a gradient system on the line?

What's a vector field on the line?

If you can answer those questions, then the proof should be straightforward.

Thank you for your reply!
I tried to prove that ∂f/∂y=∂g/∂x,as shown in the attachment,but failed...

Attachments

• screenshot.JPG
    screenshot.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 632
You're barking up the wrong tree, I'm afraid.

"The line" means the real numbers. A http://planetmath.org/GradientSystem.html on the line is a system in which
[tex]\dot x = -\frac{dV}{dx}[/tex]
for [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] and some V(x). A vector field on the line is essentially just a function [itex]f: \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] which is at least continuous.

So, given any continuous function [itex]f: \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}[/itex], can we always find V(x) such that
[tex]
\frac{dV}{dx} = -f(x)?
[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
pasmith said:
You're barking up the wrong tree, I'm afraid.

"The line" means the real numbers. A http://planetmath.org/GradientSystem.html on the line is a system in which
[tex]\dot x = -\frac{dV}{dx}[/tex]
for [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] and some V(x). A vector field on the line is essentially just a function [itex]f: \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] which is at least continuous.

So, given any continuous function [itex]f: \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}[/itex], can we always find V(x) such that
[tex]
\frac{dV}{dx} = -f(x)?
[/tex]
But the system I consider is 2D,the V(x,y) is not always there for all f(x,y) and g(x,y).So there must be anything else I haven't realized.

em,I feel like I understand that "on the line" means one dimension.
I wasted too much time on such a simple question!:cry:

1. What is nonlinear dynamics?

Nonlinear dynamics is a branch of science that studies systems that do not follow a linear relationship between cause and effect. These systems can exhibit complex and unpredictable behavior, making them difficult to analyze and understand.

2. What are some real-world applications of nonlinear dynamics?

Nonlinear dynamics has many applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, biology, economics, and even social sciences. Some examples include weather forecasting, predicting stock market behavior, studying chaotic systems in nature, and understanding brain activity.

3. How does nonlinear dynamics differ from linear dynamics?

Linear dynamics deals with systems that have a linear relationship between cause and effect, meaning that small changes in the input will result in small changes in the output. Nonlinear dynamics, on the other hand, deals with systems where small changes in the input can lead to significant and unpredictable changes in the output.

4. What are some challenges in studying nonlinear dynamics?

One of the main challenges in studying nonlinear dynamics is the complexity of the systems involved. Nonlinear systems can exhibit chaotic behavior, making it difficult to predict their future state. Additionally, the mathematics and equations used to describe nonlinear systems can be very complex and require advanced mathematical techniques.

5. How can nonlinear dynamics help solve real-world problems?

Studying nonlinear dynamics can provide insights into the behavior of complex systems and help us understand and predict their behavior. This knowledge can be applied to solve real-world problems, such as developing more accurate weather forecasting models, understanding and controlling chaotic systems, and improving the efficiency of various processes in engineering and other fields.