1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help- parallel axis theorem

1. Apr 7, 2005 #1
    Could someone please help me with a particular question to this problem?

Consider a cube of mass m with edges of length a. The moment of inertia I_0 of the cube about an axis through its center of mass and perpendicular to one of its faces is given by I_0 = 1/6ma^2. Find I_edge, the moment of inertia about an axis p through one of the edges of the cube.
    Express I_edge in terms of m and a. Use fractions rather than decimal numbers in your answer.

You know how the parallel axis theorem is I_edge = I_0 +md^2, what exactly is d in this particular problem. I tried a/2, and I tried using pythagoras' theorem to determine one of the diagonals, getting an answer of d= sqrt(2a^2)/2. Both answers where wrong when i substituted it into the equation.

A picture is available below.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2005 #2
    d is the displacement of the axis from the center of mass.

Now,

[tex]I_{edge} = I_0 + md^2 = \frac{1}{6}ma^2 + \frac{1}{2}ma^2 = \frac{2}{3}ma^2[/tex].

That should be the answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?