Help - Pauli Spin Matrices Proof

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving the Pauli spin matrices and the use of the Levi-Civita symbol. The person is having trouble with the solution and is asking for help in finding their mistake. They mention using properties of the Pauli matrices and the Levi-Civita symbol, and ultimately find the solution by using the commutation relation and the cross product formula. The conversation also touches upon the use of implied summation notation and the properties of the Pauli matrices.
Fjolvar
Hello, I attached a copy of the problem and my attempted solution. The three Pauli spin matrices are given above the problem. I'm having trouble getting the right side to equal the left side, so I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong. When I got towards the end it just wasn't looking right. Any help would be greatly appreciated, even if you can just point out my mistake. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• Problem .jpg
    Problem .jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 2,619
  • Attempt (1).pdf
    732.6 KB · Views: 731
  • Attempt (2).pdf
    503.7 KB · Views: 556
Physics news on Phys.org
Did I use the identity matrix wrong? It says its a 2x2 matrix but the sigma matrix has 3 dimensions...

You can do that way, but it's a lot tidier if you use the properties of the Pauli matrices that were established in the problem right above the one you're trying to do now. Are you familiar with the Levi-Civita symbol?

I am somewhat familiar with Levi Civita since we covered it briefly. I finished the problem the long way, but I'm interested in learning how to use the Levi Civita symbol.

Last edited:
You can combine properties (b) and (c) in the previous problem to show that

[tex][\sigma_j,\sigma_k] = 2i\varepsilon_{jkl}\sigma_l[/tex]

which is just the regular commutation relation for angular momentum written in terms of the Pauli matrices. Also, you need to know that the cross product of two vectors can be expressed as

[tex](\vec{a} \times \vec{b})_k = \varepsilon_{ijk}a_i b_j[/tex]

in terms of the Levi-Civita symbol.

Using implied summation notation, you can write the lefthand side as

[tex](a_j\sigma_j)(b_k\sigma_k) = a_j b_k \sigma_j\sigma_k[/tex]

Use the commutation relation to switch the order of the Pauli matrices on the RHS, and then use property (c) from the previous problem to switch the order in the remaining product back.

1. What are Pauli spin matrices?

Pauli spin matrices are mathematical operators used to describe the spin of a particle in quantum mechanics. They are named after physicist Wolfgang Pauli and are represented by the symbols σx, σy, and σz.

2. What is the proof for Pauli spin matrices?

The proof for Pauli spin matrices involves applying the principles of quantum mechanics and linear algebra to the spin operator of a particle. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is essential for understanding the behavior of particles with spin.

3. Why are Pauli spin matrices important?

Pauli spin matrices are important because they help us understand the spin properties of particles in quantum mechanics. They are also used in many quantum mechanical calculations and in the development of quantum technologies.

4. How are Pauli spin matrices used in quantum computing?

Pauli spin matrices are used in quantum computing to represent the quantum states of qubits. They are also used in quantum gates and operations, which are the building blocks of quantum algorithms.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Pauli spin matrices?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of Pauli spin matrices. They are used in technologies such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR), and electron spin resonance (ESR). They are also used in particle physics experiments to describe the spin properties of subatomic particles.