1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP:Periodic Motion/force

1. Nov 16, 2004 #1
    1) An airplane caught in a storm, is forced in to a vertical periodic motion of period 30.2 seconds and amplitude 17.1 meters. The maximum force (in Newtons) acting on a passenger of mass {M} kG is?

T=2pi/[sqrt of (max a*gravity)/A)] ---> max a = 0.07545 m/s^2 and F=ma but the mass of the passenger is not given. Can someone please help? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2004 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It looks to me like your answer is supposed to be in terms of M.

4. Nov 16, 2004 #3
    If the answer is in terms of m than the force is 0.07545M, where M=mass, right? but the correct answer is 976 Newtons.

5. Nov 16, 2004 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right, but there doesn't seem to be enough information to get a single numerical value for the force. You can do an analysis on an individual passenger (Since you were asked for the force "on a passenger", I'm taking it to mean that you are looking for the normal force N):

N-mg=ma
    N=mg+ma

so...

Nmax=mg+mamax.

Then you can do an analysis on the airplane. I model it as a mass on a spring.

kx-Mg=Ma
    (4π2M/T2)x-Mg=Ma

so...

amax=(4π2/T2)xmax

You can substitute that expression for amax into the equation for Nmax, but without knowing the mass m of the passenger you can't get a numerical result.

6. Nov 16, 2004 #5
    I don't get it either. There must be a way to find the force..... :cry:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?