Understand Physics Equations: Distance & Velocity

• Thread starter elyrly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the formulas for distance and velocity depend on the specific physical situation and cannot be provided without more context. The given situation involves a bike accelerating and then moving at a constant speed for a total of 7.5 seconds. The distance traveled can be calculated using the formula d = 0.5at^2, while the final speed can be found using v = at. It is suggested to refer to a textbook or class notes for further understanding.
elyrly
well i need couple equations described to me. first the distance formula, and velocity. can you guys show me the steps and describe it for me THANKS :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no single distance formula and no single velocity formula. They depend on the particular physical situation which you have neglected to share with us.

sorry A bike first accelerates from 0.0m's to 5.5m/s in 4,5s, then continures at this constant speed for another 3.0s what is the total distance traveled by the bike?

Doesn't your textbook show them and weren't they covered in class??

Starting from rest the distance traversed with constant acceleration is [itex]a t^2 /2[/itex] and the speed acquired is [itex]at[/itex]. I'll let you think about the second part! :-)

1. What is the equation for calculating distance in physics?

The equation for calculating distance in physics is distance = velocity x time. This equation is also known as the distance formula and is commonly used to determine how far an object has traveled over a certain period of time.

2. How is velocity defined in physics?

In physics, velocity is defined as the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction. The standard unit for velocity is meters per second (m/s).

3. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object over a given time interval, while instantaneous velocity is the exact velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. Average velocity can be calculated using the distance formula, while instantaneous velocity can be found by taking the derivative of an object's position function.

4. How can I use distance and velocity equations to solve problems?

To solve problems using distance and velocity equations, you must first identify the known values and the unknown value you are trying to find. Then, choose the appropriate equation based on the given information and plug in the known values. Finally, solve for the unknown value using basic algebraic principles.

5. Can I use the distance and velocity equations for objects with changing velocity?

Yes, the distance and velocity equations can be used for objects with changing velocity. However, in these cases, the average velocity equation will give an approximation rather than the exact value. To find the exact value, you would need to use calculus and the instantaneous velocity equation.