Calculating Recoil Velocity of Cobalt-60 Nucleus Emitted Gamma Ray

In summary, a cobalt-60 nucleus with 27 protons and 33 electrons emits a gamma ray photon with a wavelength of 2.7 x 10^-13 m. The recoil velocity of the nucleus is determined by calculating its momentum. To find the mass of the nucleus, the atomic mass of 60 is multiplied by the mass of a proton, rather than an alpha particle, due to the fact that the mass of a cobalt nucleus is composed of both protons and neutrons, which have similar masses.
Astronomer186
A radioactive nucelus (cobalt - 60, has 27 p+'s and 33 e-'s) emits a photon (gamma ray) of wavelength 2.7 x 10^-13 m. Assuming the nucleus was intially at rest, what si its recoil velocity upon emitting this photon?

I have already figured out the momentum using this information. When I looked at the solution guide of how to find the mass, I am not sure why they use:

m = 60(1.67 x 10^-27 kg)?

to figure out the mass? I mean, I can understand the number 60, because that's the atomic mass, but why multiply it by the mass of a proton? Cobalt has two charges: 2+ and 3+. The most common one is 2+, so why multiply it by the mass of a proton, rather than an alpha particle (which has a 2+ charge)?

If someone can explain this, that would be greatly appreciated, because I am so confused. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're talking about the mass of a cobalt nucleus and not the charge. Cobalt 60 has 60 nucleons and there is little difference between the masses of protons and neutrons.

I would like to explain the reasoning behind using the mass of a proton in this calculation. First, it is important to note that the charge of an atom or nucleus does not determine its mass. The mass of an atom or nucleus is primarily determined by the number of protons and neutrons it contains. In the case of cobalt-60, it has 27 protons and 33 neutrons, giving it a mass number of 60.

The reason why we use the mass of a proton in this calculation is because the recoil velocity of the cobalt-60 nucleus is directly related to its mass. The equation for calculating recoil velocity is given by v = p/m, where v is the recoil velocity, p is the momentum, and m is the mass. In order to use this equation, we need to have the mass of the cobalt-60 nucleus in kilograms.

Now, the mass of an individual proton is very small (approximately 1.67 x 10^-27 kg), but when we multiply it by the total number of protons in the cobalt-60 nucleus (27), we get a more significant value (approximately 4.5 x 10^-26 kg). This is the mass of the cobalt-60 nucleus that we need to use in our calculation.

In summary, we use the mass of a proton in this calculation because it helps us determine the mass of the cobalt-60 nucleus, which is essential in calculating the recoil velocity. I hope this explanation helps to clarify any confusion you may have had.

1. What is physics?

Physics is a natural science that deals with the study of matter, energy, motion, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe.

2. Why is physics important?

Physics is important because it helps us understand how the world around us works. It has practical applications in fields such as engineering, medicine, and technology, and has also led to significant advances in our understanding of the universe.

3. How can I improve my understanding of physics?

One way to improve your understanding of physics is to practice solving problems and completing homework assignments. You can also attend lectures and seek help from your teacher or a tutor if you are struggling with a particular concept.

4. What are some common challenges when completing physics homework?

Some common challenges when completing physics homework include understanding complex mathematical equations, applying concepts to real-world situations, and keeping up with the constantly evolving field of physics.

5. How can I approach difficult physics homework problems?

One approach to tackling difficult physics homework problems is to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also try looking for similar problems in your textbook or online resources for guidance, and don't be afraid to ask for help from your teacher or peers.